Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do they make metal shielded wire in 10-2?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do they make metal shielded wire in 10-2?

Doing a gas to electric conversion on a water heater and I'd rather buy a roll of wire I don't have to pull through conduit with as many turns and bends it has to go to get to the water heater.

About 25' is exposed, the rest is in the rafters.

I've seen the thinner gauge wire in the metal jacket but not 10-2.

I'd like to know before I call a well known electrical supply come morning.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Do they make metal shielded wire in 10-2?

http://www.southwire.com/flashapps/E.../MCCatalog.pdf

Available in #14, 12, & 10

See pg 24.

AND, it's made in the US, not some foreign junk (our Canadian brothers excluded of course).
    Last edited by Bob D.; 06-04-2011, 05:57 AM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It's available in almost any size you can imagine, not just #14, 12, & 10.

Comment

Yup.

Up to 900MCM-4 wire

Comment

duck. do you have a license to pull that wire? not sayin nutin, just askin, just askin. breid............

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
            It's available in almost any size you can imagine, not just #14, 12, & 10.
            True, but the manufacturer I found lists the particular cable I talked about in my post in 14, 12 & 10.

And since that is what he inquired about that's all I mentioned.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
              duck. do you have a license to pull that wire? not sayin nutin, just askin, just askin. breid............
              On sundays yes. Josh sold me his on the down low.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

I bought 2 25' rolls of 10-2 and another roll of 25' that's unshielded. Also bought 2 junction boxes. Both boxes will be exposed with blank covers properly marked.

The largest roll between an electrical supply house and two big box stores on a saturday was 250' for $345.00

or 25' rolls. Personally I think it's ridiculous when 14/2, 12/2 came in 50', 100', 125' rolls.

Too many bends to run all the conduit to get from panel to inside basement in a ceiling across to the water heater.

I'm hoping that my first 25' gets me to where it passes through a band joist in the garage to the basement, and then the 2nd 25' run takes me directly to the heater.

It "should" but pulling a tape measure never gives a true estimate of pulling wire. You always use more.

With my insurance relating to plumbing,

My insurance covers any electrical connections or creation of electrical need that serves a plumbing related appliance/device.

That doesn't mean I jump at the opportunity to do jobs like I'm doing. Almost always, I contact an electrician, numerous ones, nobody wants to do 'small' jobs and between the unreturned phone calls it's just better to go with the flow.

It's very hard to find a service electrician in this area. If you do, you wait weeks for one or you pay premiums for a bigger company to show up charging a grand to do the task.

This isn't a rag on electricians. I personally know a lot of them but they don't like to do these types of jobs. That's why I reluctantly will do them, to code and provide the service at a reasonable cost.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                True, but the manufacturer I found lists the particular cable I talked about in my post in 14, 12 & 10.

And since that is what he inquired about that's all I mentioned.
                I realize that, but the way it is written it looks like that's all there is.
                I was just making the point for future reference for those that do not click on the Southwire link.

Actually, the standard cable today is regular Type MC. This is found on pages 4-5 of that Southwire catalog link.
                That MC-AP you are referring to will not be found on any Home Depot shelf or in stock in many supply houses.
                Type AC (pages28-29) is still used but not very widespread any more.

Comment

I've seen it sold at a Marine supplier by the foot.

Comment

I don't see how you think your plumbing liability insurance and your plumbing license allows you to run an electrical circuit for a water heater. I'm covered for making the final connection to the appliance and thats all.....no running of wire. I also wouldn't use junction box's and short pieces because wire a roll of wire of the proper lenght cost too much.

Have a licensed guy install the wire. A pro will maybe catch another problem that you would miss.

Comment

Along those lines.... I'd just get the big roll. The price of copper isn't going to go down, it will be there for the next time this situation comes up, and you avoid unnecessary splices and having to place j-boxes, which is where most issues would occur.

Comment

Originally posted by mtne View Post
                        Along those lines.... I'd just get the big roll. The price of copper isn't going to go down,
                        Actually copper is at or around an all time high. Now is NOT the time to be stocking up.
                        Any time the market price is over $4 is HIGH.

Copper Prices, London Metal Exchange and COMEX Copper prices, Copper news, charts, historical prices.

Current Copper Market Prices

The one thing that does hold true is that buying more is cheaper. Any time you buy less than a "standard" small roll of 250' you are paying more per foot. This typically holds true for sized #10 and smaller.

Comment

Working...
                        X