X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attic fans

Is it okay to put plugs on attic fans and then plug them into a switched outlet?

Re: Attic fans

I don't know if its okay...but mine is not like that...and all the ones I have seen are not like that....they are all hardwired...I know that don't help much.....
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

If you are talking about "Attic Fans" as in either gable vent or roof mounted, the ones I have are hardwired in and have their own thermostat and humistat (sp) that come on automatically according to the settings I set. Therefore there is no need to have them on a switched line. I think it would be a real pain to have to remember to turn them on and off all the time. Just my 2ยข.

Comment

He may be talking about a whole house ventilating fan mounted in the ceiling joist bays below the attic in which case a switched receptacle could be used.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
          He may be talking about a whole house ventilating fan mounted in the ceiling joist bays below the attic in which case a switched receptacle could be used.
          We had to replace our roof due to hail and the existing roof vent fans were trashed. I thought that I might save some attic time by pre wiring with plugs and then just plug the replacements into the existing outlet that's up there.
          Turns out I just hardwired them today when the roofers put the new ones on the deck. Wow it was hot up there. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

I have an electric attic fan.
            I have it wired to an on/off switch down in the utility room.
            This way, I can shut the fan off completely during the winter
            I can turn it on during the summer and rely upon the thermostat
            to turn it on/off as needed.

I believe my fan is hard wired into a box. then the wire is routed to the on/off switch.

Having a switched outlet up in the attic is another option.

Cactus Man

Comment

The only reason I would have it switched or connected with a plug/outlet (and I would) is to make it easier for replacement. It's just safer for the electrician or whoever is replacing it to be able to completely disconnect power.
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

It's perfectly compliant and some might argue the disconnect (switch) is required if no receptacle is provided.
                Licensed Electrician

Comment

Working...
                X