X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical box for range

Building a new house. Getting ready to get the rough in inspection - last thing I need to do is install an electrical box for the kitchen range. I have run a 6-3 w/g for the range and would like to install a flush mount receptacle for a 4 wire 50A hookup.

Question: What type of box should I install and at what location? I was thinking about using a double gang (4X4) plastic box. Will that work with a standard 4 plug range receptacle? I guess the question is, what is normally installed for a flush mount receptacle in this situation?

thanks,
    richard

Re: electrical box for range

This is the box typically used:

Nails, internal wire clamp - Alliedmoulded

Comment

I would think a deep 4x4 box and the proper plaster ring would be the way to go,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If you have the stove already, see what areas have clearance between the stove and the wall so the plug will not hit the stove and keep it from going in all the way. I can't tell you where the box "usually" goes,(cant remember) I just look at the stove, find a good spot for the box, and go from there. I am sure I will be corrected, but it has worked for me so far. I personally don't like the nail on plastic boxes. I have seen them flex and break cover plates when the plug is being inserted into the receptical for the first time.

When you do install your box, make sure you leave it proud 1/2" so the wallboard(or other finished surface) will be flush with the box once installed.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          I would think a deep 4x4 box and the proper plaster ring would be the way to go,
          This is the right way. Although the nail-on box is legal, a deep 4" sq./plaster ring is FAR superior.

Comment

Get your stove first because there is not yet a standard in the appliance industry as to where they want the plug located

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
              Get your stove first because there is not yet a standard in the appliance industry as to where they want the plug located
              Thats silly. Houses are roughed in everyday before the appliances are even purchased. There is no special place to mount the box that is required by the NEC anyway. Install a plastic or metal box about 12" above the finished floor. In the center of the range location. They make a special deep box just for this purpose. They cost around $5.00 at Home depot or lowes, but they are designed just for this purpose. Ask when you are at the store for a deep range box. They should know exactly what you mean.
              Last edited by John Valdes; 07-10-2011, 11:25 AM.
              Licensed Electrician

Comment

Working...
              X