X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do I still need those old stuff?

We bought the home few yrs ago. we try to finish the basement now. Do you think we still need those old telephone "equipments"? right now we do have home phone but we use the cable service from internet company. do you think we will use them later?
    Attached Files

Re: do I still need those old stuff?

Only when the Zombies attack. It's all going to go wireless. Everything.

J.C.

Comment

I'd have cut all that crap down on day one!

Comment

Forgot to mention, there is one line goes to the alarm system box. Is there any impact on the alarm system if I cut all them down.

Comment

Do you use the alarm system? If so, you cannot get rid of that wire, as it is how the alarm dials out for an emergency.
          To keep it, run this line to wherever there are currently used phone lines. Splice in to those. Hopefully they were run more recently. If you have phone from the cable comp, it should be real easy (although using a cable phone line for the alarm is probably not recommended).
          If not, you'll have to find the phone wire coming in from the outside. Splice that to any of the phone wires that still need to be used, and the alarm's phone wire as well. Then you can demo everything else.

Comment

This is what happens when you turn a home owner loose with stuff they find at a yard sale!! The amount of stuff used in there is baffling! Was there some sort of home office in this place?

I would try to label the wires as you cut them out just in case something goes wrong and you need to put things back the way they were. It might be easier than starting from scracth. I would try to find some sort of interface box that will assist you with cleaning up that birds nest to make things nice and tidy.
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Like A.T said, if you use the alarm, you want to keep the phone line that is connected to it. Using VOIP for alarm systems is kinda backwards, because if the modem loses power, that phone line is no longer available for the alarm system to dial out. You can definitely find a way to clean it all up though, it looks like there were several phone lines installed in there and you only need the one (if you're using the alarm).
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                This is what happens when you turn a home owner loose with stuff they find at a yard sale!! The amount of stuff used in there is baffling! Was there some sort of home office in this place?
                We don't know the history of this house. We bought it from a bank. When I saw that amount of phone boxes, I was also thinking there must be many phones here in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by A.T. View Post
                  Do you use the alarm system? If so, you cannot get rid of that wire, as it is how the alarm dials out for an emergency.
                  To keep it, run this line to wherever there are currently used phone lines. Splice in to those. Hopefully they were run more recently. If you have phone from the cable comp, it should be real easy (although using a cable phone line for the alarm is probably not recommended).
                  If not, you'll have to find the phone wire coming in from the outside. Splice that to any of the phone wires that still need to be used, and the alarm's phone wire as well. Then you can demo everything else.
                  we haven't enable the service yet but may enable it in the future. if we don't buy service from phone company, will that alarm phone line still work for us? we are using VOIP phone via internet cable through a modem.

Comment

Originally posted by thisnewowner View Post
                    will that alarm phone line still work for us?
                    If the alarm has a dial tone, it can signal the company if there is a problem. I would also suggest checking with the local police dept and see if you need a permit to have an alarm, some places require one.
                    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Alarm manufacturers don't recommend using their systems over non-land line phone. As your service is through the cable comp, should you rely on their service to dial out in an emergency, if your cable is not in service, the alarm will not dial out.

But how often does that really happen? I may lose power sometimes (rarely), but cable- never. What's neat about the cable modem is that most of them have battery backup, so even if you power happens to be down, the alarm could still dial out (this is assuming the battery in the alarm panel is still good).

You don't need any of that old wiring in the basement. Rip it ALL out and just splice in the wires that you need to the the cat5 wire that is hooked up to the output on the cable modem.

Comment

I have removed all other stuff. For here should I cut them from outside? You can see the line is from outside via window frame. Is it ok to cut them in outside? I plan to replace the old window and don't want to drill a hole here again.
                        Attached Files

Comment

That's the old telephone comp. line coming in from the street. As you have your phone through the cable comp., this old telephone comp. stuff is obsolete. Even if you did get telephone comp. service in the future, they would run a new line, with modern equipment... there should be no problem with you cutting it out.

Comment

Working...
                          X