X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switch replacement

...hello all. i have a switch that needs replaced it is in a double switch box. the right switch controls a wall plug and the left controls a porch light. the switches have very old style top terminal screws on them. the left switch has a jumper wire on the left switch top right terminal to the left top terminal of the right switch. the right switch needs replaced. when i install the new switch, does the jumper wire go on the bottom screw of the side terminal new switch or the top? thanks in advance.

Re: switch replacement

Originally posted by halfpint View Post
    ...does the jumper wire go on the bottom screw of the side terminal new switch or the top? thanks in advance.
    On your normal single pole switch (which is what you have) the only wires you need not confuse is the ground wire/screw. Otherwise there is two wires, hot in, and switched out to the appliance(your porch light) You probably don't have a ground hooked up on your existing switches, you dont need it hooked up unless you are close to water, a sink, bathroom or outside. Just move the two wires from the old switch to the new one, you will be fine. Make sure you turn off the breaker first. That jumper wire is your hot wire.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

...thanks for the info. i'm wondering, though. does any place online sell outdated/discontinued switches such as

these? i did a search but didn't have any luck.

Comment

...thanks for the info. i'm wondering, though. does any place online sell outdated/discontinued switches such as

I don't know, but I would suggest going to a hardware store that has been around for a day or two and ask the old timer about his war stories and old switches. Do you have a picture of this switch?

Comment

Hi halfprint
          See I want to suggest you that whenever you need to buy any electrical items you always choose electrical wholesalers because they give you good quality of products and in case any item goes wrong then that can be easily replaced by wholesalers. IF you are in search of any services regarding this you can check it out.
          Electrical Wholesalers

Comment

some places have home or construction salvage places that they "salvage" old plumbing, electrical, and building items, to resale, Ebay may also be a place to look for them, I would think manufactures have to meet all current standards for there products, and that my be why they do not sell "old types" .
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
              I don't know, but I would suggest going to a hardware store that has been around for a day or two and ask the old timer about his war stories and old switches. Do you have a picture of this switch?
              ...i don't have a picture of the switch. the best i could do is try and describe it. the switch has the terminals on top. it has a terminal on the left top and another terminal on the right top. the right terminal of the right switch, has a wire hooked to it which i believe is going to the wall outlet. the top left terminal of this switch is hooked to a jumper wire, insulated, to the right top terminal of the left switch which i believe is for the porch light.

i thought since i can't find an identical switch i'd replace it with the new type that has the side terminals. then i would hook the jumper wire from the left switch top right terminal to the bottom side terminal of the new right switch. i probably need to talk by phone.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                some places have home or construction salvage places that they "salvage" old plumbing, electrical, and building items, to resale, Ebay may also be a place to look for them, I would think manufactures have to meet all current standards for there products, and that my be why they do not sell "old types" .
                Hi BHD
                In my opinion you need to practically go to the electrical shops and then check the products because security is the main point here and Ebay can be the good option for just taking the idea of varieties, price and color. But here you cannot negotiate for the price that's the the thing which you will be getting only on the shops.
                Electrical Wholesalers

Comment

The old screw on the top style switch you are searching for is ILLEGAL. These things are fire hazards. Don't overcomplicate a simple thing. Go buy a $0.39 switch from Lowe's and install it...if you're picky, get two, and replace both devices.

D-O-N-E

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                    ...this is the best i can do:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...04/Switch6.jpg

Comment

I viewed your photo..go to Home Depot and purchase two new SPST switches rated at 15 amps
                      unboxed you'll spend maybe $1.00 each
                      a levitin switch boxed may run $1.79 in a box with instructions

You have very very old switches and they both look to be in bad shape
                      and dangerous!!!!

you are retired contractor? and you are not familiar with a standard on/off switch?
                      Perhaps you should pay an electrician to come fix it and that way you won't hurt yourself or cause a fire!

Cactus Man

Comment

"you are retired contractor? and you are not familiar with a standard on/off switch?"

...thanks. i've seen many standard on/off switches but NONE like that one.

Comment

Not too long before the smoke box breaks on those puppies... OFF TO THE STORE WITH YA!

Comment

Yeah those switches are old and scary.

Comment

Working...
                            X