X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost Embarrassed...

I'm almost embarrassed to ask about this, but I'm sure I've asked dumber questions.

I was working on an existing CPVC line today. Every time I touched it, I got a little shock. I'm thinking I'm losing my mind or maybe muscle fatigue that feels a little like a shock the first couple of times.

The third time I felt it, (Like a dumb monkey, takes three times to maybe learn...) I got out my meter.

Now, I'm not very good at electrical troubleshooting as to where to touch what and to put my mind into where the ground or neutral is going if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I touch one of the probes to the CPVC pipe and the other just jammed into the ground. Got a reading as high as 9 volts.

Why would I be getting anything on CPVC?

Thanks for all input.

J.C.

Re: Almost Embarrassed...

was this on a well by chance?
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
      was this on a well by chance?
      No, it was not on a well.

J.C.

Comment

I have only encountered that one time in the city and it was from cable tv wire ran thru attic and down behind the tub and was rubbing on the water pipes until it exposed the wires against the metal riser to the bath then just conducted thru the water to the grounding on the water system....
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

There are a couple dozen possibilities. I bet the voltage is higher from the pipe to a known good ground, like a cold water supply pipe or a nearby junction box. Nine volts is pretty difficult to feel except if you put your tongue across both + and - terminals of a nine volt battery. That is if the place was wired correctly in the first place. Is the jumper wire from one side of the water meter to the other in place and tightly connected? I wouldn't waste your time on it past notifying the homeowner or business owner of the problem and advising them to get an electrician out there pronto.

Comment

Pretty sure what you're experiencing is static buildup from water rushing through the pipes. Static electricity can collect on the outside of CPVC even though plastic is an insulator. Dust collection systems (especially in wood shops) suffer greatly from this.
            Last edited by Doctordeere; 06-23-2011, 08:33 PM.
            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

but how does electricy flow on a plastic pipe. CPVC

I could understand a possible static shock, but a stedy flow of power, as many plastics will develop a static charge if dust is moving through them, (use PVC on a wood dust collection system or use a PVC pipe to blow cellulose insulation,

Scope:
              Dielectric Strength is a measure of the electrical strength of a material as an insulator. Dielectric strength is defined as the maximum voltage required to produce a dielectric breakdown through the material and is expressed as Volts per unit thickness. The higher the dielectric strength of a material the better its quality as an insulator.
              Dielectric Strength ASTM D 149 IEC 80243
              Dielectric Strength (V/mil) ASTM D149 PVC 1,413 CPVC 1,250
              Abbott Plastics: Materials - PVC & CPVC
              another chart on plastics for comparison, http://www.curbellplastics.com/techn...h-plastics.pdf
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Ah, but is AC or DC current...

Comment

Don't take this wrong JC, but did you even think about which to check for
                  first...AC or DC?; or did it not even cross your mind and you just checked for AC?
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    Don't take this wrong JC, but did you even think about which to check for
                    first...AC or DC?; or did it not even cross your mind and you just checked for AC?
                    I don't take it wrong at ALL. I honestly expected everyone to say I was just crazy. I only checked for AC. It never crossed my mind to check for DC.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Well normally I would think as probably most would, that AC would be all you had to worry about, not because DC can't kill or injure you but AC is more common. But generally speaking IIRC if using your meter to look for the presence of voltage you would set it for Ac first then if finding no AC switch to DC and check for a DC component. You could actually have both (AC riding on top of DC) but not likely in the places you would be.

Do I remember that right Killavolt or anyone else?
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

are you telling us jc that you're ac dc

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          are you telling us jc that you're ac dc

rick.
                          I have no idea what that means out West. In the South the only AC/DC we know about involves electricity or Bon Scott.

J.C.

Comment

To save some Googling.

RIP Bonnie.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                              Well normally I would think as probably most would, that AC would be all you had to worry about, not because DC can't kill or injure you but AC is more common. But generally speaking IIRC if using your meter to look for the presence of voltage you would set it for Ac first then if finding no AC switch to DC and check for a DC component. You could actually have both (AC riding on top of DC) but not likely in the places you would be.

Do I remember that right Killavolt or anyone else?
                              I use Fluke meters and they automatically switch over to the current/voltage you are trying to measure. I am an electrician and I immediately jumped on the AC voltage bandwagon. Never assume anything, I suppose...

Comment

Working...
                              X