Obtain power by tapping into existing line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obtain power by tapping into existing line

I would like to get power for a new first floo fixture from an existing wire that goes from the basement panel to a second floor fixture. Can I create a "Y" type junction by adding a junction box at some point between the panel and the existing fixture?

The reason I ask is because many of the diagrams and advice I've seen say to extend from the last switch/outlet in a series. I can't get to the last switch which is why I'd like to tap into the wire where it's accessible.

Re: Obtain power by tapping into existing line

is that a spliced in extension cord?
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
      is that a spliced in extension cord?
      yes, with the ground floating out there in space.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

This one is my personal favorite of the month...

Past winners I have found...

The house this picture was taken in a home that had a self proclaimed sexual intellectual wire it up. He ran the wires just like you would in a car, black to ground, in the electrical panel. Imagine my surprise when I seen how the panel was wired up, and this birds nest... Its a wonder the home did not burn down already.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
          This one is my personal favorite of the month...

Past winners I have found...

The house this picture was taken in a home that had a self proclaimed sexual intellectual wire it up. He ran the wires just like you would in a car, black to ground, in the electrical panel. Imagine my surprise when I seen how the panel was wired up, and this birds nest... Its a wonder the home did not burn down already.
          It's called " WE WIRE FOR FIRE ! "
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Woods View Post
            I would like to get power for a new first floo fixture from an existing wire that goes from the basement panel to a second floor fixture. Can I create a "Y" type junction by adding a junction box at some point between the panel and the existing fixture?

The reason I ask is because many of the diagrams and advice I've seen say to extend from the last switch/outlet in a series. I can't get to the last switch which is why I'd like to tap into the wire where it's accessible.
            Yes. Use a box, the correct connectors and a blank cover.
            Licensed Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Woods View Post

You can tap into the wires if you instal a proper junction box there. The one thing you need to look at is that some flood lights require a switch to operate properly if it uses a motion sensor.

Comment

Whether you can tap into an existing circuit depends on what the cicuit feeds. If it feeds a bathroom or a Small Appliance Branch Circuit for a kitchen or other dedicated circuits, you are not allowed (by code) to extend that circuit for other uses. Tell us what the existing cicuit feeds and what you plan to branch off to.

Comment

Back in the old days they would run the whole dang house worth of plugs off of 2-3 circuits, what a mess to figure stuff out sometimes. If it did not burn a house down or kill somebody back in the old days, why would it do it now?
                  We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                    Back in the old days they would run the whole dang house worth of plugs off of 2-3 circuits, what a mess to figure stuff out sometimes. If it did not burn a house down or kill somebody back in the old days, why would it do it now?
                    My first house was built in 1905. It was wired for AC and piped for gas ...IN THE SAME FIXTURE!!! Man were those things scary.

Anyway, that was a 4700 sf 3 story home with 27 rooms. The whole house was running off a 60A service with (4) 15 amp fuses in the main panel (if you could call it that) plus the two cartridge fuses for the dryer and range circuits. None of the rooms on the 3rd floor had electric lights or outlets. Most of the outlets (where they did exist) were singles not duplex receptacles. I brought in a new 200A service to the basement with a 100A sub panel on the third floor and replaced all the wiring in the entire house. All with minimal damage to the original plaster walls which were in excellent condition and we did not want to disturb any more than necessary. It was a lot of work but worth it in the end to get rid of all the knob and tube wiring.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                    X