polebarn wiring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: polebarn wiring

Thank you both for the advice I will get a electrican to do the tap in at the meter base, I will run the wire and install a 125 amp panel in the pole barn, I believe John you said I could use the #3cu wire.
    Again thanks for all the info, and I guess I am a little hard headed my wife keeps telling that.

Comment

Originally posted by oleboy View Post
      Thank you both for the advice I will get a electrican to do the tap in at the meter base, I will run the wire and install a 125 amp panel in the pole barn, I believe John you said I could use the #3cu wire.
      Again thanks for all the info, and I guess I am a little hard headed my wife keeps telling that.
      Yes, I did say it. Now what size breaker panel are you going to put in the barn. Lets see if your head really is hard?
      Licensed Electrician

Comment

Sorry John I was sidetracked today I was planning on putting a 100 amp panel in the polebarn
        will that work? also I couldn't find a W on the wiring does that mean wet locations?

Comment

Sorry John I was sidetracked today I was planning on putting a 100 amp panel in the polebarn
          will that work? also I couldn't find a W on the wiring does that mean wet locations?
          A 100 amp main breaker panel will work just fine. Table 310.15 (B)6 allows the service conductors to be a number 4 wire. At 125 feet the number 3 wire is good. You can always Google "Voltage drop Calculators" to check it, but I am certain you are fine.
          Look very carefully on the cable to be certain you do not see "THHN/THWN" marked on it. There is no "W" by itself. If not write down the cable manufacturers name and call them. There may be a publication that verifies your wire is okay for "wet" locations.
          If not, you will need new wire. I don't think you will. I think it does say THHN/THWN. If this was my service I would pull it anyway. Inspectors know what THHN/THWN looks like and most likely could care less.
          Have you checked on the double lugs for your Millbank meter? Gotta have them. Once you have them, you can start trenching and installing the conduit. Use at least 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" conduit.
          Licensed Electrician

Comment

John the cable does say THHN but no W I have the 1 1/2" conduit already buried except for some hand digging by the house but will have to put things on hold for a few days my stress test came by
            not so good and monday they go up through the groin and have a look, I let you know on the electric as soon as I can. ken

Comment

John the cable does say THHN but no W I have the 1 1/2" conduit already buried except for some hand digging by the house but will have to put things on hold for a few days my stress test came by
              not so good and monday they go up through the groin and have a look, I let you know on the electric as soon as I can. ken
              Sorry you are not well. That should be your main priority.
              Check the wire manufacturer. It would be a shame to not be able to use wire we both know is fine for the application. You could always skin it, and take it in for scrap. They are paying close to $3.00 a lb around here last I checked. You could use this extra cash for the new wire.
              Like I said before (I) would use it anyway. But you have to prepared to pull it back out should the inspector catch it. To me it would be worth that chance. 125 feet of #3 THHN copper is alot of money. Of course your conduit is big enough for AL should it come to buying new wire. I hope all goes well.................John
              Licensed Electrician

Comment

You're in My prayers Oleboy. Be Well
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Get well soon
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                  X