Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead outlet, breaker not tripped.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dead outlet, breaker not tripped.

    I plugged a hair dryer into my bedroom outlet, after a minute the hairdryer shut off. I assumed I tripped the breaker on the chord. Nope. I assumed I tripped the breaker in my box. Nope.

    Turned all the breakers to off, waited 20 seconds, turned them all back to on. Still not working.

    Took the cover off the circuit breaker, checked all the connections; nothing loose.

    Hmmm.. Okay, must be the outlet. I switched it with another outlet from a different room. Problem outlet works in the other room, new outlet does not work at the problem outlet box. Not the physical outlet.

    The problem outlet box only has two wires, black and white, and no other wires in the box, and no returns. I assume this outlet must not be in a series?

    The other outlets in the room work. The ceiling light works.

    My circuit breaker box is not labeled so I methodically turned each switch on and off and charted what works what. Only problem is, now that the outlet is dead I can't be certain what circuit it is on.

    Any suggestions?

    I dont smell any burning, I didn't hear any pops. I am going crazy over here, and I am afraid I have a fire hazard now. It is an apartment building so the only other thing I can think of is that it is drawing power from another unit, if that is possible.
    Last edited by JJJAAAMMM; 08-09-2011, 11:36 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Dead outlet, breaker not tripped.

    Problem solved. I went ahead and took apart every outlet and switch in my bedroom and bathroom. Looks like there was a faulty connection at the timer switch for the overhead light. I guess this outlet branched off from it. I was confused since all other lights and switches worked and the failure happened during load.

    Any idea why an overload would have caused this failure? Could it have caused the wires to lose contact at the junction point?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Dead outlet, breaker not tripped.

      Loose wires that still work can arc together. When it happens enough the gap gets bigger and bigger, the electricity stops jumping across the forever widening gap. That is my not professional opinion.
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Dead outlet, breaker not tripped.

        usually a good idea to cut back a bit on the wiring if it's been arcing like that for a while, and make a new connection.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Dead outlet, breaker not tripped.

          Hair dryers have a thermal overload built in. If you would have let the hair dryer cool off, you would not have had to open any receptacle boxes. Once cooled off it works normally again. Geez, Even my wife knows that. I am beginning to think I could make a living at telling people how dumb they are.

          Every single post after the OP's was just gibberish and makes no sense. Tell me. What does this last post mean, by MoJourneyman.

          "usually a good idea to cut back a bit on the wiring if it's been arcing like that for a while, and make a new connection".

          I do not know who moderates this forum, but they are doing a terrible job. What the hell is that reply about?
          Licensed Electrician

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Dead outlet, breaker not tripped.

            john, Bite my ***. how's that for moderation?

            If he had a loose connection and the wires were arcing they will have heated, cut back on the wiring and make a new connection.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Dead outlet, breaker not tripped.

              Originally posted by John Valdes View Post
              Hair dryers have a thermal overload built in. If you would have let the hair dryer cool off, you would not have had to open any receptacle boxes. Once cooled off it works normally again. Geez, Even my wife knows that. I am beginning to think I could make a living at telling people how dumb they are.

              Every single post after the OP's was just gibberish and makes no sense. Tell me. What does this last post mean, by MoJourneyman.

              "usually a good idea to cut back a bit on the wiring if it's been arcing like that for a while, and make a new connection".

              I do not know who moderates this forum, but they are doing a terrible job. What the hell is that reply about?
              Keep your day job (though that doesn't look promising either).

              It was not the hair dryer, the breaker never tripped in the dryer, and no other devices worked in the outlet. Like I said in my follow up it was a loose junction point on the load wire in my light switch. It threw me off because the light was still working as were all other outlets on the circuit. I was wondering if any pros had any insight as to why the loose connection would come up during load. Maybe your wife has some ideas.
              Last edited by JJJAAAMMM; 08-10-2011, 10:10 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Dead outlet, breaker not tripped.

                Originally posted by John Valdes View Post
                Every single post after the OP's was just gibberish and makes no sense.....
                I don't speak on subjects I either have no firsthand experience of in the field, or have read in a textbook. I have worked on a few small jobs where a fixture has quit working, traced it down to a poor job of proper wire nut use, where the wire in question was barely touching.

                One job had a receptacle that worked "just fine" way for several years till one day the arcing had enough. Unlucky for me my customer was in the hospital for 2 weeks and everything in her fridge had gone bad. I got paid to empty out that poor fridge and haul it to the dump. It took forever to track down that stupid wire nut.

                Two jobs both had a light fixture randomly quit. 120V at the fixture, no neutral, light works when the neutral was spliced to the ground. The cause, bad wire connection via wire nuts. You could plainly see where the wires were arcing together, black carbon on the area in question.

                The fix for all three situations mentioned? Cut off the bad portion of wires, strip the wire back to the correct length and to clean copper, redo the connection, problem solved. I have seen a ton of bu||ls#!+ during my ongoing days of making chicken soup out of chicken S, the answers here are what worked, how else were these situations supposed to be corrected?
                Last edited by masterbeavis; 08-11-2011, 11:13 PM.
                We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Dead outlet, breaker not tripped.

                  Nowadays when something looses power mysteriously I look up......to the overhead light.

                  In the old days, at least up here in the northeast, standard practice was to run the feeds to the lights and feed everything out from there. Switch loop down for the switch, and branch out for the plugs.

                  So when one device on a circuit isn't working (at least in old houses), get out the ladder.

                  I don't know why they did it that way, seems like too much overhead work to me.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X