X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused readings

When I turn my light switch off I have power at my hot and neutral wires and the light is off. When I turn the light on I have power only on the hot side. I'm using a sound emitting tester. Is this normal or do I have concerns.

Re: Confused readings

Those things are a piece of crap. The only thing I use them for is seeing if i have sucsessfully shut off power to the circuit I am working on. You can get them things to chirp sitting in your pocket, shoot, I make sure the batteries are good by rubbing it on my forearm. If it chirps, batteries are good, if not, check in a known live receptacle and replace batteries. I always check them on a known live circuit before relying on that tool for anything. A cheap $10 multimeter is a MUCH better tool for checking for line voltage than them stupid chirpers.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I did check it on a live circuit and dialed it in until it only chirped when close to a live wire, but that still doesn't answer why the hot was live while on and the hot and neutral were live while off. Should it not be the other way around?

Comment

Originally posted by MarshallB View Post
        When I turn my light switch off I have power at my hot and neutral wires and the light is off. When I turn the light on I have power only on the hot side. I'm using a sound emitting tester. Is this normal or do I have concerns.
        Is the switch on the lamp? Or on the wall? Remember, power is present all the way through the lamp to the switch if the switch is located on the lamp itself. Other than that, it sounds like "operator error" to me.
        Licensed Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by MarshallB View Post
          I did check it on a live circuit and dialed it in until it only chirped when close to a live wire, but that still doesn't answer why the hot was live while on and the hot and neutral were live while off. Should it not be the other way around?
          Put that thing back in your toolbox and use a proper tool, either a voltmeter, or a wiggy.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
          X