X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Zinsco Panels

We have a lot of them Here. I picked up two 20 amp Piggyback single pole at H.D. for a customer. These are made by a different Manuf., as a replacement. $140 and change! OUCH ain't My $$. Flickering lights. Yes I made sure all Breaker screws , and neutrals ,were tight. Used My Rea tech thermal Gun On all breakers, All Cool. Almost all flickering gone.
    Just curious ,were Zinsco used in other states than Ca. ?
    Last edited by toolaholic; 08-28-2011, 01:15 AM.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Old Zinsco Panels

I replaced a few of those Zinsco panels out here back when I was working for an electrical contractor. They were pretty rare out here.

Comment

In our area they were were sold by a big box store that is no longer around, (the name is not coming to me right now) I have one to replace here soon on my place,

they were sold in Colorado
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

We currently have a 1965 vintage Zinsco panel on our home in Glendale AZ.
        what's worse is the major house has aluminum wire!
        We have addressed that with copper pigtails, replaced all outlets and switches, and
        temperature testing everything once a year!

We even had the power company Nolax the Zinsco panel for us!

The plan here [finally] is to replace it with a Square-D 200 amp panel.
        This will occur when we have the cold 80 degree days around This coming December.

Home Depot sells after market breakers and yes they are terribly over priced!
        I stocked up on them way back when Pay-less Cash-ways were still in business

Cactus Man

Comment

Thanks,I also will upgrade with a 200 amp panel. Need the power co. to see if My over head service wires need to be up sized 1 st
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Tool, yes those Zinsco's seem to be all over the place here in No. CA. I think the Company was a CA based firm from way back. You can also get breakers from Bay Breakers. They are reconditioned, which is scary, but probably not any worse that the cheap import replacements at Lowe's and if I recall correctly, less money.

I've changed out mine and a good friend's Zinsco. In my case I went to 200A service, my friend didn't want to pay PG&E for the service upgrade so we went to a 125A (max for her existing service). I used a 42 slot GE panel (copper bus) that I got at Lowes on the clearance table for $50; at her house I put in a Square D QO panel (also copper bus). Those Zinscos & their breakers are terrible cheap crap - it was a relief to put them in the recycle bin.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
              Tool, yes those Zinsco's seem to be all over the place here in No. CA. I think the Company was a CA based firm from way back. You can also get breakers from Bay Breakers. They are reconditioned, which is scary, but probably not any worse that the cheap import replacements at Lowe's and if I recall correctly, less money.

I've changed out mine and a good friend's Zinsco. In my case I went to 200A service, my friend didn't want to pay PG&E for the service upgrade so we went to a 125A (max for her existing service). I used a 42 slot GE panel (copper bus) that I got at Lowes on the clearance table for $50; at her house I put in a Square D QO panel (also copper bus). Those Zinscos & their breakers are terrible cheap crap - it was a relief to put them in the recycle bin.
              I hope to dump it next month. thanks

Comment

I have a customer with a zinsco panel. It was installed by the first owner and builder of the house, a lifetime paint and body guy. The guy wired his house goofy, the receptacles and switches were wired as they should, black to copper, white to silver, but inside the panel he put the neutrals(white) to the breakers and the hot wires (black) into the neutral bar. All boxes (that have not been redone or fixed) had the ground wires cut, I have no clue why. Almost no extra wires inside the boxes either, what a pain in the neck. I have no clue how this work passed inspection. The house has been standing for 40+ years but man I cringe every time the new and current owner asks me to come out and do anything. Lately he has been complaining about lights turning off by themselves, then the next day magically working. He brings it up, I give him the phone number to my electrician buddy again for the Nth time. He wants me to fix the problem, I want him to replace the panel, run new home runs, and pretty much rewire his entire home.
                We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                X