Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shut off 220 V to stoves if emergency medical call?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shut off 220 V to stoves if emergency medical call?

I am a volunteer emergency medical courier.
    Hospitals call for emergency medical transports at any time, day or night.
    My wife, Youqing, and I have departed on red lights and siren transports and Youqing wondered if she had turned BOTH stoves off!!

One flatop range is in thenclosed back porch where Youqing cooks her fish and other smelly foods to keep the odors out of the house.
    The other range is in the kitchen.

From a wall switch nexto the laundry room door exiting to the garage, is there a relay which can be remotely operated from the switch to shut off power to the ranges?

When using the oven, we always use the oven timer.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 09-24-2011, 10:48 AM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: RELAY to shut off 220 V to stoves if emergency medical call?

I'm not an electrician so I can't say if it would meet code but it would seem that something could be wired up to shut down power to both ranges. Maybe something like an emergency stop button operating a contactor such as is used in work shops to quickly shut down all stationary tools in the shop in the event of an emergency. It would take a bit of rewiring, and probably the cost will deter you from implementing.

You're obviously worried about the chance of a fire starting because of one of these ranges being left on when you get called out, so don't scrimp and DIY this unless its within your skill level and get it inspected too. If you don't get it inspected (assuming that's required in your neck of the woods) and a fire does start your Ins Co. might not pay off if it was determined that your DIY emergency disconnect was a contributing factor to the fire.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

As said a contactor should work if sized properly, the other would be just a shut off switch that one pulls down when leaving, just a disconnect, if you have to push a button pulling a lever would be just as easy,

on the contactor, one most likely could set that up on a timer, so each time you use it you set the timer to shot off in XX number of mins,

a contactor is similar to a starter on a commercial machine where you have the red stop button and the green start button,

with a contractor the start or stop buttons or timer do not need to be where the heavy wiring is, all they would need is control wiring, and the contactor could be by the breaker box.

would most likely need a separate unit for each appliance, unless there breaker-ed on the same breaker,
      your "clocks" would most likely loose there time if that matters, as power would be totally shut off from the units,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Webber
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Re: Shut off 220 V to stoves if emergency medical call?

Thank you, both.

I wired the house (to code) so can do everything myself.

I considered a sub-panel with circuit breakers, buthat may bexpensive and she would not accept its appearance inside the house.

Is there a relay with normally closed contacts which can open the circuit if the switch is turned on?
          Would code allow some kind of relay to be installed in each circuit?
          Last edited by Robert Gift; 09-24-2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

all a contactor is is a relay,

by doing a Google search it appears there are some made, that have Normal closed contacts,
            I do not have enough back ground to properly suggest any parts or type of unit or units,

I would not think it would be any different than putting in a disconnect as far as the NEC is concerned,

I think you should run it by a qualified electrician to give you the information and suggestions on to type and size to look into,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
              I would think a better idea would be to turn the cooktop off on the controls before you answer the phone if you cant remember to turn the stove off what makes you think you would remember to turn the switch off.......if you can remembr to turn the switch off just apply that to the controls on the cooktop.
              Yours is BEST IDEA!
              I was outside mowing the yard and another time, changing oil.
              Youqing answers cell phone call.
              While I am putting the mower away, cleaning up and changing into clean medical clothes, she is closing all the windows, locking doors, locking parrot in his cage, changing clothes, etc.
              Such distractions can be a problem.
              The pilot light athe switch at the door would be staring everyone leaving in the face - including her son who lefthe stove on once just leaving for school.

Comment

Youqing dislikes the 120 - 277 Volt 30-amp DPST wall toggle switch because it does not match the decora switches in the house.
                Decora makes a 120 - 277 Volt 20-amp SPST wall switch.

This unit has NO NEUTRAL.
                It is connected by 12-2 with ground through a 20-amp duplex circuit breaker.
                Would one of the 240-volt legs connecting through the 20-amp SPST wall switch be good enough? (Disconnecting ONE leg does not allow operation.)

Thank you.

http://products.geappliances.com/Mar...e=49-80508.pdf
                Last edited by Robert Gift; 09-24-2011, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Why not use a contactor with the stop trigger wired to a pressure switch on the garage floor under the garage door? Garage door opens, contact opens until you hit a "reset" start button installed some where (maybe in the cabinet adjacent to the stove?)

Also, maybe look into a controlled wiring system that you could turn on and off circuits remotely with a cell phone app?

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                    Why not use a contactor with the stop trigger wired to a pressure switch on the garage floor under the garage door? Garage door opens, contact opens until you hit a "reset" start button installed some where (maybe in the cabinet adjacent to the stove?)
                    Also, maybe look into a controlled wiring system that you could turn on and off circuits remotely with a cell phone app?
                    Thank you.
                    I'd like to make this a smart house with many things controlled from a cell phone! (There have been many occasions where we.re driving home from something and were called on transport.
                    Did not like thathe house was completely dark when we arrived home often after midnight or later.)

Those other switches arexpen$ive and more costs for wires.
                    I considered tapping into the garage door light or running another wire from the garage door opener (door bell) button.
                    Buthe garage door is often up when I am working in the garage.

Best is the ON / OFF switch athe door.
                    Wish I could connect a GREEN light to it.
                    If DPDT, I would have to connect a RED light which goes out when the switch turns off the 220 VAC.
                    Last edited by Robert Gift; 09-25-2011, 06:43 AM.

Comment

I would not switch the high current to the stove. Instead install a heavy duty contactor (relay) behind the stove and operate it with a standard 120 volt wall switch. Could be the same switch that kills the gas in your other post.

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
                        I would not switch the high current to the stove. Instead install a heavy duty contactor (relay) behind the stove and operate it with a standard 120 volt wall switch. Could be the same switch that kills the gas in your other post.
                        Both burners on high draw a maximum of 3700 watts. At 220 Volts = 16.8 amps.
                        Would a 20-amp switch be suitable? Does a 20-amp switch have a higher capacity than 20 amps?

Since this cooktop uses only both legs of the 220, (no Neutral) one leg disconnected means open circuit and no power.

Comment

Working...
                        X