Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

GE radiant cook top. Only RED, BLACK and Ground. No Neutral. Is ground also Neutral?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE radiant cook top. Only RED, BLACK and Ground. No Neutral. Is ground also Neutral?

3,700 Watts maximum. = 16.8 amps at 220 VAC
    Is wired to Code using 12-2 with ground.

Two indicator lights. Burner ON and HOT SURFACE.

Is ground allowed to be used for 120 Volts for the indicators?
    Or is ground a ground only?

Thank you.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: GE radiant cook top. Only RED, BLACK and Ground. No Neutral. Is ground also Neutr

This a straight 230 volt cook top. The indicator panel is most likely fed from a transformer or designed to operate on 230 volts. There is no neutral.
    Licensed Electrician

Comment

Re: GE radiant cook top. Only RED, BLACK and Ground. No Neutral. Is ground also Neutr

If it is 120 volt indicators at one time it was a code allowed to use the "ground" on some 240 volt items as a current carrying conductor, ranges, ovens, dryers, and home shop welders and some other things were allowed to be wired with only three wires, now they usually require 4 unless it strictly a 240 volt unit, and there is no 120 volt operation in the unit. I do not remember when the code change was, guessing in the 90's,
      What year/code cycle did 4 wires for stoves start? [Archive] - Mike Holt's Forum
      this references the 1996 code cycle,

so if your home was built before 1996 most likely it will only have three wire set up on the range or cook top, and dryer (if electric)
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
        If it is 120 volt indicators at one time it was a code allowed to use the "ground" on some 240 volt items as a current carrying conductor, ranges, ovens, dryers, and home shop welders and some other things were allowed to be wired with only three wires, now they usually require 4 unless it strictly a 240 volt unit, and there is no 120 volt operation in the unit. I do not remember when the code change was, guessing in the 90's, ...
        so if your home was built before 1996 most likely it will only have three wire set up on the range or cook top, and dryer (if electric)
        Built 2001.
        Cooktop added 2010.
        So, they cannot use the ground even for the tiny currents of neon indicators?
        OK. Easy enough to use higheresistors and make them 220/240.
        Thank you.
        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

The manufacturer builds the stove/range/cooktop to their specs. Not to NEC specs. You always follow manufactures specs. Here's the deal. If the equipment is rated 120/230 you need four wires. If the equipment is rated 230 you only need three wires. Regardless of what the equipment is.
          Licensed Electrician

Comment

Back in the day, they used the neutral wire to ground the chassis of a stove or dryer. It was never allowed to use a GROUND to carry any current, AFAIK

Comment

Working...
            X