Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Wateresistant disposer switch on base cabinet under/behindrip edge? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wateresistant disposer switch on base cabinet under/behindrip edge?

    $60 for a surface-mount push-button switch.
    We then must clean around it. Would rather have a smooth uninterrupted surface.
    Is there a toggle switch I am allowed to mounthrough the base cabinet wall?

    Our garbage disposer lightoggle switch is inside the cabinet.
    One must open the left door and reach way to the left wall of the base cabinet.

    Any suggestions?

    Thank you.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

  • #2
    Re: Wateresistant disposer switch on base cabinet under/behindrip edge?

    insinkerator makes a push button air switch that a plunger style air button. you plug the controller into a live outlet and the air switch turns on an outlet that the disposal plugs into. there's also a live/ hot outlet on the controller too.

    runs about $65.00 too. insikerator is also owned by emerson electric.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Wateresistant disposer switch on base cabinet under/behindrip edge?

      Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      insinkerator makes a push button air switch that a plunger style air button. you plug the controller into a live outlet and the air switch turns on an outlet that the disposal plugs into. there's also a live/ hot outlet on the controller too.
      runs about $65.00 too. insikerator is also owned by emerson electric.
      rick.
      Thank you.
      I was hoping for something I could afford, like a weatheresistantoggle switch.
      I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
      It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
      "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Wateresistant disposer switch on base cabinet under/behindrip edge?

        Why not use a cut in box (old work, or smart box) and install a switch as you would anywhere else in your house? Then slap a plate of your choice on it and wow.

        Seems you have more questions than answers. Have you been here? http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/
        Licensed Electrician

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Wateresistant disposer switch on base cabinet under/behindrip edge?

          Originally posted by John Valdes View Post
          Why not use a cut in box (old work, or smart box) and install a switch as you would anywhere else in your house? Then slap a plate of your choice on it and wow. ...
          Could water splash get into the switch?
          I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
          It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
          "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Wateresistant disposer switch on base cabinet under/behindrip edge?

            Maybe. But disposal switches are usually located above the sink on the wall. That is where it is supposed to be. This is considered a dry location as is the area under your sink. You can install the switch in either of these locations and use a regular metal or plastic old work box, regular switch and plate of your choice. Because there are water pipes and drains does not mean its a wet location. These pipes and drains are designed not to leak. That is why these areas are considered dry by the NEC. Water splash is possible and most likely inevitable. But our code addresses both areas as dry regardless.
            I have been reading some of your post's and it seems you over complicate things. I understand you want to be safe. But there a some simple things like this project that do not require as much attention as lets say a pool or hot tub. I gave you a link to a DIY forum. Here is where you can get as complicated as you want and you will have plenty company. There are several master, journeyman and contractors on this electrical site. I would direct my questions there as you will get many more responses and more NEC compliant advice. Good luck and give the DIY site a try.
            Licensed Electrician

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Wateresistant disposer switch on ISLAND base cabinet under drip edge?

              Originally posted by John Valdes View Post
              ... it seems you over complicate things. I understand you want to be safe. But there a some simple things like this project that do not require as much attention as lets say a pool or hot tub. I gave you a link to a DIY forum. Here is where you can get as complicated as you want and you will have plenty company. There are several master, journeyman and contractors on this electrical site. I would direct my questions there as you will get many more responses and more NEC compliant advice. Good luck and give the DIY site a try.
              I'm an organist. I over complicateverything!

              I failed to mention thath.is an island. I'd like to install a lightoggle switch on the base cabinet but won'the NEC prohibithat location because water may splash into the switch?
              I considered a low-voltage pushbutton and relay but suppose that is illegal.
              My wife probably will not approve of thiswitch:
              Weatherproof Electrical Box Lever Switch Cover with Single Pole Switch - Gray-KDL1P at The Home Depot
              Last edited by Robert Gift; 10-08-2011, 08:43 AM.
              I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
              It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
              "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

              Comment

              Working...
              X