Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I remove thelectricompany's loop? Or is it, HANDS OFF?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Intorducing Robert Gift's Tree Removal and Electrical service!

I hear you have a backhoe service as well?

We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Re: Intorducing Robert Gift's Tree Removal and Electrical service!

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
      I hear you have a backhoe service as well?
      Close.
      Last edited by Robert Gift; 10-16-2011, 06:47 PM.
      I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
      It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
      "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Xcel removed the wires.

Returning from a 4 a.m. bloodelivery to a mountain hospital, I stopped athe siren which is right off I-70.
        The crew had just finished. "Where are the donuts we.re told to expect" they joked.
        Wish I could have known. I would have broughthem.

They said that had I cuthe loop, they would still have had to inspect and log it, so just always call them to do it.

I asked if I could pay them to lifthe siren and lower it to the ground.
        They said they could not - the 450-lb siren was beyond their 300-lb weight capacity.
        http://maps.google.com/?ll=39.729129...2.74,,0,-39.56

Comment

Re: Xcel removed the wires.

Glad your project is proceeding along, be careful getting that thing off the pole, I know you know that,

many of my projects seem to take a lot longer than anticipated, but it looks like your gaining,
          Last edited by BHD; 10-20-2011, 07:17 PM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Re: Can I remove thelectricompany's loop? Or is it, HANDS OFF?

I pulled this off of Google earth looks like a little better photo that looks like a big unit,

you may want to consider a small boom truck to help you, even with the bucket truck you have, one to get things hooked up and one to lower it, do you get the pole as well?

is there a lifting ring up on top of it?

His may be a dumb question, but why did they abandon this unit, do they "wear out".
            (I could see taking it down and refurbish it from time to time, but beside a few bearing I can not see them wearing out,
            I would think it would be a wanted asset to the community, not just junk, to give away.

It looks like you have a good unit, but I do not think it is battery powered,
            Attached Files
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Re: Can I remove thelectricompany's loop? Or is it, HANDS OFF?

My guess is that they don't use the air siren anymore, or replaced it with another one elsewhere.

That dude looks like it will most certainly wake up the neighborhood.

I seen one of these on Ebay once, I think it sold for a whopping $700.

Welcome to VictorySiren.com™
              Official Website of the VictorySiren Foundation, Inc.

Presenting the historic
              CHRYSLER AIR RAID SIREN
              The Most Powerful Siren Ever Built

1952-1957

180 HP V-8

3 TONS

12 FEET

Stop Cursor Over Siren Image For Part Descriptions

138 dB C

30,000 Watts

6 FEET

4 MILE RANGE

What you see pictured above is a Chrysler Air Raid Siren, the most powerful siren in the world. It's the size of a car, measuring near 12-feet in length and standing more than 6-feet tall. It also weighs twice as much as today's typical car. This gigantic siren is powered by an 180-HP Chrysler Industrial V-8 HEMIĀ® gasoline engine. The super-duty engine directly drives a three-stage compressor that blows 2,610 cubic feet of air a minute, at nearly 7 PSI, into a giant siren rotor. The compressed air screams through the chopper and out through six giant horns with an exit velocity of 400 miles per hour. The result is an incredibly loud 138 dB sound (measured 100 feet from the siren). The loudness of this siren is unmatched by any other warning device ever sold, ever. It's also considerably louder than the largest steam whistle or horn. As if that were not dramatic enough, the whole unit, engine and all, slowly rotates one and one-half times a minute on its iron turntable base.
              Last edited by masterbeavis; 10-20-2011, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Xcel removed their 240 V three-phase loop.

I pulled this off of Google earth looks like a little better photo that looks like a big unit,
                you may want to consider a small boom truck to help you, even with the bucket truck you have, one to get things hooked up and one to lower it, do you get the pole as well?
                They do not wanthe pole but I have no way to pull it.

is there a lifting ring up on top of it?
                Yes. An eyebolt.
                I will remove the cap and 21 projectors (cones) which willower the weight by 110 lbs. One cone is missing.

...why did they abandon this unit, do they "wear out".
                Since it was a Cold War siren they were no longer using it.
                (I could see taking it down and refurbish it from time to time, but beside a few bearing I can not see them wearing out,
                The 10-horsepower 208/240 - 480 Volt motor is dual-shaft with justwo bearings.

I would think it would be a wanted asset to the community, not just junk, to give away.
                Even though a fire station is just a block away, I was told it was never used as a fire siren.
                Most fire sirens are single tone. CD sirens were to be dual-tone.

The siren's disconnect was locked off. The digital LCD meteread: 000.0
                The antenna base was broken and antenna lying on itside and water could get into the radio receiver (in the upper box).

I called Xcel and gave them the meter number. Theirecords indicated who was billed for it.
                Xcel said thatheir recordshow zero electrical consumption since the digital meter was installed in 2004 - as far back as theirecords go.
                Since 2004 the town had paid over $850 in monthly meter charges.

I contacted the town and told them abouthe monthly charges even though it is locked OFF.
                I asked if they still use it/want it.

After winning possession, I cuthe locks and opened the larger lower box. The controller was missing. The siren could not produce an up and down "Attack" sound.
                It could produce a steady "Alert" with a telephone line relay turning it on and off. Later, a radio receiver turned it on and off.
                The upperadio receiver box was empty.

I checked thelectrical components and turned on the disconnect after removing a bird nest from inside it.
                Very briefly I manually raised the three-phase motorelay armature.
                The siren spun up to a low-pitched "growl".
                It produced only one of the two pitches it is to sound. (The lower siren is 10 ports (openings) the upper is 12.
                At 3,450 RPM they produce musical pitches D5 and F5, a perfect minor third interval which creates a Bb2 Resultant tone.)

There may be nests lying on the lower siren's flat intake screen.
                I did not wanto risk sucking any debris up into the rotor and possibly causing damage, so I did not get it up to a higher, loudeRPM.

It looks like you have a good unit, but I do not think it is battery powered,
                Correct. Looking at the loop I couldiscern that it is three-phase.
                (If single-phase, I could operate it from our houselectric service.)

If I can create a battery bank which produces three-phase, it would be much easier to locate the siren where needed and to operate it by radio signal.
                Last edited by Robert Gift; 10-21-2011, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Re: Xcel removed their 240 V three-phase loop.

in our little town that is close to us,

they use the siren a lot, many years ago, it was used a clock, and still is, goes off at (I think 7 in the morning now, at one time it was 6, and at 12 noon, and again at 1, and again at 6 in the evening, and for fire, tornado's and If ever needed I think attack, some summer times, it is going off a lot with hot and dry for fires, and in the evening for tornado warnings,

For many years they just had one about half way up on the water tower, (then they moved the water tower, replaced it whit a new larger tower, and put the siren on a pole) and added a second siren up on the Hi way, (some of the people could not hear it in there homes if the wind was from the south, the town is about a mile square,

some times it being used like a factory time clock is a little confusing if a fire or emergency happens very close to the time it is set to go off,
                  but now most of the emergency volunteers have pagers as well, so it is not as confusing to them,

being a small town when ever the siren goes many times people come out and watch the fire hall (which is in the middle of town) to see which way the trucks go, and by the equipment usually what the type of emergency it is, (it is not like in a city where you hear sirens going all the day and night, and many times it is some one that you know is hurt or having the problem,

with the siren being used as a clock as well, it is funny to watch out of town people jump when it goes off, wondering what is going on,

I looks like you do a lot of good for the community there,
                  Last edited by BHD; 10-21-2011, 10:51 AM.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

They are wearing their siren out! Surprised thathe citizens accepthat much noise pollution.

For fire calls we now have pagers. Some volunteers save the departmenthe cost of a pager by using their cell phones as pagers.

Hopefully thisoon to be tornado siren will never be needed to warn the huge trailer park which my fire department protects.

I was considering replacing the 10-horsepower three-phase motor with two DC motors, but they would be very expensive.
                    Fortunately we have three-phase power for the park's well pump which would also be a good place for the siren.

Comment

Robert you cannot use a bucket truck to lift that siren unless it has a jib and is rated for that much
                      weight,we use a crane and bucket truck or a derrick digger truck.

Comment

Originally posted by cincy plumber View Post
                        Robert you cannot use a bucket truck to lift that siren unless it has a jib and is rated for that much
                        weight,we use a crane and bucket truck or a derrick digger truck.
                        Wish I could afford that. The bucket is rated at 300 lbs working load.
                        I will remove the cones and cap = 110 lbs and unbolthe bottom intake from the stator and leave it attached to the tripod (bracket) on the pole.
                        So we are lifting just the core and top intake to which the eyebolt is attached.
                        Then unbolt the tripod from the pole and lift it and the intake off the pole.

My tree bossays it will be OK withis bucketruck backed up to the utility pole.

I plan to remove the top intake flange and load the core into thExpedition.
                        Must check and maybe fix the dampers.

For others' understanding:
                        The siren'spinning rotor flings air outward againsthe stator, sucking more air in. As the channels in the rotor line up withe stator ports (openings), the air isuddenly expelled and just as instantly cut off by the rotor fins. This sudden "chopping" of that airflow is what creates pressure waves which we perceive as sound.

On thisiren, stove-pipe-like dampers in the intake tubes can quickly close and stop the air from getting sucked into the rotors, thereby ceasing the sound production.

When the solenoid-operatedampers open and close alternately, the siren produces a minor-third "hi-lo" sound. Opening and closing simultaneously creates two-tone blasts.
                        Last edited by Robert Gift; 10-22-2011, 09:49 AM.

Comment

how ever you do it do in such a way you do not hurt your self, as if you hurt your self I can guarantee you will not save a nickel,

if your in the bucket, and add a 300 pound chunk of steel to the unit you will be over loading it about about 200 pounds, (yes most likely it will handle it as I am sure there is a good safety margin in the design) but is it wise.
                          Last edited by BHD; 10-21-2011, 11:32 PM.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

You might be able to overload a piece of equipment once, but it might fail because of the stress you put on it on the next job you do even if when it failed it was not overloaded. If it were me being stuck with doing this job, I would use two trucks. One with me in it doing the rigging, and another doing the lifting, or better yet, rent a piece of equipment for 4 hours to lift the thing off, like a construction forklift (assuming it can lift that high). I would be steeply inlcined to not risk damaging a piece of equipment that is my bread and butter and more importantly trust my life to.

Comment

Once I tie to the.yebolt, I can lower myself to the ground on a rope.
                              So no overload and should a problem ever occur, we're in a safe location.

We regularly check for tiny cracks or any sign of stress or failure. A local tree service owner was killed when his bucket failed. (I forget why.)
                              When we lower heavy wood sections, we use the tree to carry the weight.

I'm in EMS. A visit to a hospital ED is thou$ands. By NOT going to a hospital when I had a kidney stone attack, I saved $3,000.

Comment

If you call the Power Company they will come remove the service for you and it shouldn't cost you anything. They don't want you messing with it. They don't want anybody getting hurt. They won't give you permission to do it. You don't want to become the subject of a weekly safety meeting at a Power Company.

I doubt they care about the meter box even if they own it. The company that I worked for was trying to get out of the "owning the meter box business." It just costs them money when they have to replace one (or to replace a lug) and there isn't any advantage to owning the box.
                                Last edited by jabgpc; 11-02-2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X