Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Can I remove thelectricompany's loop? Or is it, HANDS OFF?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I remove thelectricompany's loop? Or is it, HANDS OFF?

I am not an electrician. But I work withigh voltages.
    I am removing an abandoned, operating, Cold War Era airaid siren.

In exchange for giving the siren to me, I told the municipality that I would removeverything from the siren's utility pole.
    Last week thelectricompany removed their 240-Volt three-phase meter and yesterday I removed everything after it.

The loop to the weatherhead comes off mid span.
    Can I cuthe wireso shorthathey cannotouch anything?
    Are there termination caps which must be secured on thends of the wires?

While I have our bucketruck there to remove the 450 lb siren, I would be happy to save Xcel a trip and finish everything including removing the mast and meter box. (When I added a second floor to my house, I bought and installed the mast, weatherhead, meter box and 3 feet of conductor outhe weatherhead.)

Or musthelectricompany do this?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 10-20-2011, 07:59 AM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Can I remove thelectricompany's loop? Or is it, HANDS OFF?

QUESTION Are You faster than ELECTRICITY ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      QUESTION Are You faster than ELECTRICITY ?
      No, but I'm good to 400 Volts!
      I would cut and insulate/terminate one phase at a time.

Comment

If it is HOT, I would think the answer is NO. If ever thing is dead and disconnected then it is just a salvage operation, That would be the way I would see it,

IN my instance, the power company owns the pipe weather head, and meter box, what I own is what comes out of the of the box and from there on going to my propriety, even if you want to salvage the box and so on I would check with the Power company first to make sure they have relinquished the owner ship of it,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If the electric company puts it in, its thiers ( i.e meter) but I doubt they will take the box with them. Let them deal with making the wires go away, unless you owe them a favor. Otherwise call them, and get whatever they say in writing.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

It's HOT - right from the transformers.

OK, I'll ask them to remove their loop.

At my little house I had to supply and install everything to which they connected their loop.
            I owned the meter box. They own the meter.

Means I'll have to pack a ladder and return to remove the mast and meter box.

Comment

Re: It's HOT - right from the transformers.

You are good to 400 volts? And you work with high voltages? I may be totally off base, but I think you are a troll and you are pulling everyone's leg on this forum. For one, I have never in my life seen anyone with that many electrical jobs going on day after day. Two. You ask, but always do it the way YOU want to. Three. No one has this many instances of issues requiring expert answers in a lifetime, but you do every single day! It seems you are doing more electrical work than most electrical contractors.
              Oh. One more. You are an attention whore. You are the focal point of this forum. It seems you bask in the light of the internet. How would you ever have time to do any work if you are here? I hope you take this post seriously and get the hell out of here. Hack.

I gave you a link to a DIY site which anyone that has your type of questions would jump on. You instead ignore the advice and remain on a power tool forum. This alone proves to me you are not what you want everyone to think you are. Troll. You are a Troll!
              Last edited by John Valdes; 10-16-2011, 11:54 AM.
              Licensed Electrician

Comment

I'm with John, as Robs posts are interesting, out there, and he argues with people or ignores their advice even though he asked for it.

I stopped really caring what he posted after this comment in his three phase post

Quote:
                That be me in Air Raid Sirens.com ! But I was thrown out for the signature: Being "born again" is much like being born the first time. One minute you're quiet and harmless. The next you're a screaming fountain of crap.

Only real reason I looked at this thread was the title, who the hell would even think of touching a power company loop, regardless of voltage...

Comment

Do you know what they say on handling trolls? DONT FEED THEM! They are just like an unwanted stray cat or dog, you feed them once, they come back.

He asks some oddball questions, and it sounds to me alot of them pertain to his home and his ideas on how to burn it down.

Here is my unsolicited opinion: If you have a problem with us attention whores asking for advice and whatnot, stop reading our posts. Click ignore, put your blinders on, go someplace else to scold non idiots who are worthy of your time. Once in a blue moon, these type of hair brained ideas lead to some awesome innovation.

Comment

All questions about real situations

I assume that electricians disconnect power company loops.
                    (Good to 400 volts is a joke.)

Since I am already there with our tree service bucketruck, I'd want to gethe job done and save the power company the cost and time of going out again to do me a favor. (Told them the siren was being removed and assumed they would remove the loop when they removed their meter. Since 2004, when they updated to a digital meter, they said have charged the municipality $850 and their meter shows 000.0 consumption.)
                    Also I don't wanto drive outhere again justo remove the mast and meter housing.

Working withigh voltages, I have no intentions of grounding or getting across anything. (I don'trust our bucket's insulation.)
                    I wanto make the disconnect safe and proper (to code) but do not know if anything special is required.

(I'm not an electrician and have never been paid to do thelectrical work I have donated. All of my work has passed inspection.)
                    Last edited by Robert Gift; 10-16-2011, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Re: All questions about real situations

Originally posted by Robert Gift
                      (I'm not an electrician and have never been paid to do thelectrical work I have donated. All of my work has passed inspection.)
                      I sure hope you have a thick fire suit... I feel a flaming is about to ensue with that comment...

Comment

Intorducing Robert Gift's Tree Removal and Electrical service!

Comment

Originally posted by robert gift View Post
                          i am not an electrician. But i work withigh voltages.
                          I am removing an abandoned, operating, cold war era airaid siren.

In exchange for giving the siren to me, i told the municipality that i would removeverything from the siren's utility pole.
                          Last week thelectricompany removed their 240-volt three-phase meter and yesterday i removed everything after it.

The loop to the weatherhead comes off mid span.
                          Can i cuthe wireso shorthathey cannotouch anything?
                          Are there termination caps which must be secured on thends of the wires?

While i have our bucketruck there to remove the 450 lb siren, i would be happy to save xcel a trip and finish everything including removing the mast and meter box. (when i added a second floor to my house, i bought and installed the mast, weatherhead, meter box and 3 feet of conductor outhe weatherhead.)

or musthelectricompany do this?

Thank you.
                          you scare me!
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Re: Intorducing Robert Gift's Tree Removal and Electrical service!

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                            you're good ! Leno's hireing !
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Re: Intorducing Robert Gift's Tree Removal and Electrical service!

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                              I don't see no problem.
                              And very colorful J-box.

Comment

Working...
                              X