Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Can two 3,600 RPM 5-hp DC motors replace a 10-hp three-phase siren motor?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can two 3,600 RPM 5-hp DC motors replace a 10-hp three-phase siren motor?

Does anyone make a 3,600 RPM DC motor?
    The airaid siren is actually TWO sirens attached to a dual-shaft 10-hp three-phase motor.

Just curious if this would be a practicle alternative to trying to create a mechanical three-phase inverter.

Thank you.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Can two 3,600 RPM 5-hp DC motors replace a 10-hp three-phase siren motor?

http://www.baldor.com/pdf/literature/BR600_0705.pdf
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

this is my opinion,

If I was going to try what your wanting to do, I would most likely take the siren apart, take the motor and strip it out, leaving the shell of it,
      (most likely it is the mount on the motor, that centers the shaft in the housing and the sirens), so keeping that mount is important,

I would go to a machine shop, (in my case I would make it my self), but have a shaft made that will replace the armature of the motor, and extend it down (and if needed punch/drill/cut through the base of the unit, so one can attach a shaft to it via a flex connector, after mounting or make a steel pole to mount on, and off the pole make some bearing supports and bring the shaft down to the base of the pole with the shaft, put a pulley on it, (most likely a double v pulley, and then use a vertical mount gas engine, most like some place in the 15 hp range or a little more, (could consider a lawn mower type electric clutch), and belt drive the drive shaft, if wanted one could set with a electric motor as well, when you have power, (keep the tank dry on the motor, and only add fuel when testing or using) one could even drive a small alternator if there are any other controls that need power),

you would need to shield your drive shaft and most likely build some type of lockable box around the gas motor and electric motor for theft and safety reasons,,

a bank of batteries will only last about 10 years under the best conditions, as long as one keeps some fresh fuel around and run it dry each test, so the carburetor does not gum up, it should start on demand, (I would not rely on a electric starter) I would want a pull starter as well, but IN the process I would make some jumper cables and store them in the box for if the need of jumping if off a truck or a car is ever needed,

with a gas engine one would have many hours of potential use if ever needed, not just mins on a battery bank,

but just like any thing it will take maintenance and checking on it regularly
      with the eclectic clutch it will start with out load, and the engine can be operated with the siren going,

and my guess is by the time you get motors and batteries and chargers, your costs will be no more,

yes it would have to be maned to operate most like on the gas motor,
      if the fuel was propane or Nature gas, may be one could automate it operation, with a remote starter and some thing to a timer to kick in the siren,

using propane or NG, should help a lot with maintenance over gasoline, (I have both of my generators on propane, the starting is so much nicer,

I do not know what the cost of a manufactured DC unit is but I would check into it,

as far as the DC motor (can't really find any thing right now, but small electric cars/viechiel most likely use some thing in that range of horse power (5 to 10 HP)and speed range,
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

or if one can extend the shaft out the bottom of the unit, one could than either use a DC motor or a gas as described above,

below is a few DC motors on Ebay, I think I am posting 10 hp motors the first one listed looks the most practical, IMO, it looks like a fun motor to play with,
        I do not know if any below would meet your requirements for the project or not, that would be for you to decide, just posting some possibilities,

DC MOTOR / GENERATOR 10 hp - 12 24 48 Volt - Etek MT/Pattern Permanent Magnet | eBay
        or
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-Volt-DC-M...22815317104169
        or
        http://www.zeropointfuel.com/index.p...r-wind-turbine
        (some other sites on the Manta type motor, as listed above) some thing to consider, (Etek bolt patterns, was designed to replace the original Briggs & Stratton Etek motor which is no longer in production.) at bottom of page, for the power you would want it would need cooling. http://www.hydrogenappliances.com/manta.html

Westinghouse 10 HP 10HP DC Electric Motor 4000 RPM D C | eBay

POWERTRON 10 HP DC SHUNT WOUND DIRECT CURRENT MOTOR | eBay

search

dc motor 10hp | eBay

More,

http://www.destinyparts.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=28

Last edited by BHD; 10-23-2011, 05:03 PM.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thank you, BHD.
          Another alternative is a three-phase generator.
          Must have remote start in case no one is athe fire station.
          Generator must be up to speed before the siren load is applied.
          A typical tornado siren warning is just 3 to 5 minutes.

The advantage of battery is thathe power is there all the time and can simply be switched on remotely if necessary.
          Would be just like the fire department to be called away and then the sireneeds to be turned on.

Comment

How much are you going to spend trying to adapt old "junk" to work again, versus buying new, and not worrying about it blowing up right away?
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              this is my opinion,

I do not know what the cost of a manufactured DC unit is but I would check into it,
              Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
              How much are you going to spend trying to adapt old "junk" to work again, versus buying new, and not worrying about it blowing up right away?
              I think I suggested this on one of the other threads, about sirens, with the grants that are out there from the various agencies I would guess the cost may not be any more than remaking and building the old unit,
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                I think I suggested this on one of the other threads, about sirens, with the grants that are out there from the various agencies I would guess the cost may not be any more than remaking and building the old unit,
                They have used up all their grant money. A siren is down the list, after other things.
                My plan is to connect ito 240 V. three-phase now and later do something more if it is possible.
                Last edited by Robert Gift; 10-24-2011, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X