Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many amps does this fuse box have?

I'm looking to buy this house, but am wondering if anyone can tell me what the amps is for this fuse box? The box label says 100 amps, but I'm assuming that just means the panel is meant for "up to" 100 amps. The house I'm living in now is 100 amps so I'm fine with that level, but I just need confirmation if this is indeed 100 amps or something else.

[IMG]Click image for larger version

Name:	5aa4eff5b8a3feb02ccf3eff3903ee80.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	15571[/IMG]

Re: How many amps does this fuse box have?

I would say more than likely, since there are 2 60 amp pull fuses,you have a 100 amp service. You might want to check with your insurance company or financial institution, because around here, most insurance carriers require to upgrade from fuse panels to breaker panels. Some financial institutions require upgrade also. Hope this helps.

Huck

Comment

That is most likely a 100A service.

Comment

Originally posted by huckster4 View Post
        You might want to check with your insurance company or financial institution, because around here, most insurance carriers require to upgrade from fuse panels to breaker panels.
        I would say some, not most.

Originally posted by huckster4 View Post
        Some financial institutions require upgrade also.
        Now this I have never heard of.

Comment

I find it a lil bizar too , but I have changed out several for FHA loans. You notice i said around my neck of the woods.

Comment

In Connecticut, you cannot sell a house or commercial property, (2 or 3 family house) if it has fuse panels. They must be upgraded to breaker load centers.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
              In Connecticut, you cannot sell a house or commercial property, (2 or 3 family house) if it has fuse panels. They must be upgraded to breaker load centers.
              Why?
              Aren't fuses faster than circuit breakers?
              And I just heavily invested in fuse futures.
              I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
              It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
              "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

most fuses are the same size physically and if you keep blowing out 15 amp fuses, the tendency is to put in a heaver fuse, even tho the wire may not handle it,

(I have seen many a fuse box with 30 amp fuses in them), and I bet that a lot of the wire was only 14 gage wire in the walls, most people will not switch out a breaker, and besides the breaker is easier to reset,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                  most fuses are the same size physically and if you keep blowing out 15 amp fuses, the tendency is to put in a heaver fuse, even tho the wire may not handle it,

(I have seen many a fuse box with 30 amp fuses in them), and I bet that a lot of the wire was only 14 gage wire in the walls, most people will not switch out a breaker, and besides the breaker is easier to reset,
                  Bless Me farther for I have sinned!
                  Somewhere in Arlington Mass. there's a 15 Amp blown fuse with a penny behind it! Hope It's served the family well for the past
                  47 Years. Tool was a Lil Hack in training back then. Daddy showd Me that trick!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    Bless Me farther for I have sinned!
                    Somewhere in Arlington Mass. there's a 15 Amp blown fuse with a penny behind it! Hope It's served the family well for the past
                    47 Years. Tool was a Lil Hack in training back then. Daddy showd Me that trick!
                    Archie Bunker's house almost burned down using that trick.

Comment

My mother in law had a fuse panel. Every screw in fuse was 30 amp. This is the main reason IMO fuse panels should be replaced asap.
                      Talking FHA. When I bought my first house, they inspected it and made two requirements before they would extend the loan to us.
                      1) Tap city water supply after the original HO had made serious well and pump upgrades to the tune of over $1500.00. The city water tap cost me $1500.00.
                      2) Paint a screen door. Seems they were drunk or most likely had no idea of what they were doing. FHA that is.
                      Licensed Electrician

Comment

Working...
                      X