Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

I'm buying a new construction home, and right after I move in, we are having either granite or quartz tops installed on counter AND backsplash. We also are going to have under-cabinet lighting installed as well, and I have a questions.

The outlets on the wall where the backsplash is going, don't those outlets have to be moved outward for the stone backsplash? If they have to be moved outward, will it be a pain in the butt for the electrician?

Does a separate switch need to be installed for the lights?

I have to accept the house the way it is as far as standard electric installation practices are concerned.

Why don't I get them to install the granite and the lights from the start? Because they don't and won't offer what we want, so we have to wait until we move in.

Also...do you electricians recommend a certain type of under-cabinet lighting? I don't want those lights that are long and square...that's not the look I want.

Yes I will be hiring an Electrician...cause I don't mess with electric when Plumbing or Heating is not involved. I want the installation to look right, as I'm extremely anal about things.

Re: Question

I'm not an electrician but I worked at a Holiday Inn Express this week...so to extend an outlet out to accept the backsplash is easy. There are special adapters for just that type of thing that make the box deeper. As for lightinig? The sky is almost the limit any more. All kinds of options out there.

Comment

Rings on the boxes.
      Light rope..Many different configurations as far as intensity,shade.

Comment

Ok you 2...let me see your Electrician license.

Comment

Outlet bars mounted on the bottom of the cabinets, eliminate the outlets in the backsplash all together... Only way to go with full granite backsplashes!

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            Ok you 2...let me see your Electrician license.
            Es Aqui Mio
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Es Aqui Mio
              Where were You the last SINK OH OH, DEMIOO ???????
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Re: Question CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND MOM !!!!

I wire for FIRE Under My Ca. G.C. Lic. HA HA ,PLUMB FOR LEAKS TOO.
                you definitely want a switch wired in first , and wiring for lights ,maybe each side of window! And go to a lighting supply and ask what units DON'T HUMM !! Did Steve Perry's kitchen [Journey] about 25 years ago . ist ones in HUMMED. Lesson learned! He was very nice !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Es Aqui Mio

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Rings will work, but I like to install adjustable boxes Adjustable Zip Boxes if you can get them to use these instead of whatever non-adjustable ones they use. I would get with your electrician to see what he would like to make his job easier after they finish.

Comment

Es Aqui Mio
                      Expiro en 2007

Comment

You need box extensions to bring the box out to within .25" of the finish surface.

The under cabinet lights can not be added to the existing counter top receptacles, those receptacles are SABC's (small appliance branch circuits) and can not have anything else on them. It would be easy to branch of the existing lighting circuit and add the switches during the rough in phase.

Comment

Make damn sure they don't just leave the minimum amount of wire for the next guy to work with or it will be an extra PITA............ I like the idea of the receptacles in the bottom of the cabs. Any one have pictures of that so I have an idea how it was executed?

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
                            You need box extensions to bring the box out to within .25" of the finish surface.

The under cabinet lights can not be added to the existing counter top receptacles, those receptacles are SABC's (small appliance branch circuits) and can not have anything else on them. It would be easy to branch of the existing lighting circuit and add the switches during the rough in phase.
                            Since I don't have the luxury of this builder conforming to my wishes, how hard will it be for the electrician to run his wire for the switch to operate these lights?

Comment

re pushout for boxes requiered because of extra depth from backsplash; spark rings; avail at yr local hd.

wire length issues... im no electrician either but here they are supposed to reqire 6" in the box, which is ample to the point of sillyness. Should be plenty to meet the extra 1/2" of depth you need for backsplash.
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X