X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run Cable(Coaxial) In Garage.. Seal Box From Wall Cavity

Want to install a coaxial cable outlet in attached garage. Plan is to drill thru rim joist in basement and come out wall in garage.

Question is is there a proper box and/or sealing method to assure no carbon monoxide infiltrates thru box and into wall cavity?
    Attached Files

Re: Run Cable(Coaxial) In Garage.. Seal Box From Wall Cavity

Originally posted by hammerlane View Post
    Want to install a coaxial cable outlet in attached garage. Plan is to drill thru rim joist in basement and come out wall in garage.

Question is is there a proper box and/or sealing method to assure no carbon monoxide infiltrates thru box and into wall cavity?
    Carbon monoxide from where? Takes a good source to make a real concern.

Answer: Caulk or spray foam.

Comment

Can I just cut in a low voltage box and then install a coax wallplate?

Always watching Holmes on Holmes and when he inspects garages he always points out that all penetrartions should be properly sealed.
      Attached Files

Comment

Any penetration thru a garage firewall needs to be done properly.
        Plastic plumbing pipes need to be converted to metal thru the penetration and sealed with firecaulk or properly taped with drywall mud.
        Electrical boxes need to fire rated and not back to back with one in the other room (living space) in the same stud bay.
        Wiring going thru the wall needs to be fire caulked.(the pink stuff)
        Flue piping needs a collar, and the pipe needs to be 1" away from anything that could catch fire including drywall.
        Fire sprinklers are a new thing too, yuck!

Code varies from area to area, and from the age it was built, but you get the basic idea of what needs to happen. Nobody will care unless your house catches fire or you go to sell it and some home inspector tries telling you your house is going to burn down. Honestly I would not worry at all about a discreet hole drilled to run a wire thru. A little bit of caulk will seal out any potential fumes.

It looks from your pictures (and I am guessing) that on the other side of the wall is dirt?? I am almost baffled to not see a sheetrock lid in your garage. Your home must be an older one? My unsolicited two cents worth of advice would be to run some electrical for lighting, and put up some 5/8" rock on that ceiling. If there ever was a fire, the sheetrock would possibly slow the rate of the fire spreading.
        Last edited by masterbeavis; 11-15-2011, 01:33 AM.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
          It looks from your pictures (and I am guessing) that on the other side of the wall is dirt?? I am almost baffled to not see a sheetrock lid in your garage. Your home must be an older one? My unsolicited two cents worth of advice would be to run some electrical for lighting, and put up some 5/8" rock on that ceiling. If there ever was a fire, the sheetrock would possibly slow the rate of the fire spreading.
          @masterbeavis

you may have confused the photos....my basement is the photo with the wreath on the wall. The garage is the other photo. The house was built in 1998. The garage does have a drywall ceiling. It may be hard to see in the photo. My basement does not have a drywall ceiling. And yes on the other side of the basement cinder block wall would be dirt.

I only posted the photos to show where in basement I want to drill thru rim joist and then where in garage the hole will approximately be.

You also mentioned mentioned a fire rated box for electrical. Would this apply to coax cable. Not running any electrical.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by hammerlane; 11-15-2011, 09:27 AM.

Comment

What gives? Your basement pic doesn't show the deep sink and washing machine you were going to ty into that 4 inch! lol.
            Your wife will let you know that the cable in the garage can wait till you finish the laundry. Ha!

Comment

@backfall

yeah...yeah...yeah...I've made a command decision that cable comes first....its a pain running 60 feet of cable on Sundays from inside thru house under steps hoping kids don't trip over it and out to garage to watch football.

That laundry tub in the basement is more for me to have someplace to wash hands and stuff while in basement. The washer standpipe will be just in case we want to move laundry into basement.

Below is some of my finish work on Sundays.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                Flue piping needs a collar, and the pipe needs to be 1" away from anything that could catch fire including drywall.
                Drywall can catch fire, and provide a fire rating or separation? You should stick to making chicken soup.

Comment

Are you asking whether Drywall can catch fire, and provide a fire rating or separation?

Comment

Drywall is used to slow the spread of fire in a structure.

He mentioned not having a collar to close to anything that can catch fire, including drywall.

I wouldn't include drywall in a category of things that "catch fire".

Comment

OK...I got your point.

Thanks

Comment

Wow! I'm comeing to your place on Sunday's to watch football! That meat looks GOOD!
                        I know you don't like the Bucks, do you? Ha.

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                          Drywall is used to slow the spread of fire in a structure.

He mentioned not having a collar to close to anything that can catch fire, including drywall.

I wouldn't include drywall in a category of things that "catch fire".
                          I dunno what to tell you aside from you cant have your flue pipe directly touch drywall. It does have a paper backing on both sides, which can catch fire (and sometimes paint too). I have had this argument before, me trying to burn thru sheetrock on fire with a mapp gas torch, I still was told to fix it. Some things seem stupid to me, but whatever, if I am in compliance with whats written(code), then its somebody else's a$$ not mine when something goes wrong.

If you would like to sign your name on a piece of paper and say its 100% ok and that you will take full responsibility for any damage, then by all means I will do what you suggest.
                          Last edited by masterbeavis; 11-20-2011, 04:37 PM.
                          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                          X