X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Clamp Meter Recommendation

I'm looking to pick up a decent quality AC Clamp Meter, Ideally I would like to get a Fluke 902 but that's a bit out of my price range.

Can anyone recommend a good brand & model that's not as expensive & would be good for residential use?

Doug

Re: AC Clamp Meter Recommendation

You can get a model 322 for about $100.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Amprobe makes a decent clamp meter for around 80 bucks. Should be all you would need for residential use.

Huck

Comment

If you don't need to measure amperage higher than 100A then you can't beat a Fluke T5 for an all around excellent tester.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          You can get a model 322 for about $100.
          Yeah I've seen them around here foraround $100 also, I just wasn't sure how good they were in comparison to the 902 that goes for over $250? Naturally the 322 doesn't have all the HAVC test functions, But it would be nice to have. I've also seen the 902's on e-bay go for around $100 also, But I would be alittle hesitant on getting one used?

For about the same $100 price range there's a kit made by Extech that has a EX 430 Multimeter & a MA200 (400Amp) clamp meter. The Ex 430 meter has a capacitance function & a temperature probe which would let you check HAVC equipment like the 902.

I've also seen multimeter/clamp kits offered by Mastech & Klein Tools in about the same price range, But I'm not sure of the quality of some of these lower priced kits?

If I was going to be using the meter all the time I would naturally go with the Fluke! But for just working around the house I'm thinking the lower priced kits may be the way to go?

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by huckster4 View Post
            Amprobe makes a decent clamp meter for around 80 bucks. Should be all you would need for residential use.

Huck
            Thanks I check them out!

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
              If you don't need to measure amperage higher than 100A then you can't beat a Fluke T5 for an all around excellent tester.
              Being that my house currently only has a 100 Amp service that wouldn't be a problem. I would like to upgrade the service to 200 Amps someday. But that involves also changing the entrance lines, Which is yet another expense.

Thanks Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Dwall174 View Post
                Being that my house currently only has a 100 Amp service that wouldn't be a problem. I would like to upgrade the service to 200 Amps someday. But that involves also changing the entrance lines, Which is yet another expense.

Thanks Doug
                It is extremely rare that you'd have to measure the amperage on your service lines if you upgraded to 200A.

Comment

I used a UEI phoenix before I got my fluke. Only reason I upgraded was for the temperature function.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I recommend Extech. Its the only meter I give my guys. This is there catelog page.

Extech Instruments - Clamp-On Meters - AC/DC Clamp Meters

This is the unit we use:
                    EX840 - 1000A AC/DC True RMS Clamp/DMM + IR Thermometer

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                      I recommend Extech. Its the only meter I give my guys.
                      Thanks for the info! I've heard of Extech before, But I didn't realize they offered so many different products for testing.

Doug

Comment

IMO Extech is not a "professional" grade tester, if that's what you are looking for.

Comment

IMO Extech is not a "professional" grade tester, if that's what you are looking for.
                          I'm not looking for a "Professional" model or even something that's going to be used quite a bit! I basically need one for use around the house & I would probably only use it once or twice a month.
                          On the other hand I don't want a cheap/flimsy piece of trash that I'll end up pitching in 6 months.

Doug

Comment

Why because it does not have the name FLUKE attached to it.

Most people don't know about Extech because they specialize in highly scientific instrumentation. Personally and as a company I have been using Extech for over 25 years. From circuit testers to there waste/water testing and monitoring equipment. I have only had one Extech product fail in all those years and that was a $25.00 Line tester, which they promptly replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                              Why because it does not have the name FLUKE attached to it.
                              No, and that is just a silly statement.

Comment

Working...
                              X