Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Voltage drop

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    Who's "cheating"?
    That chart is fine, and @75' #10 is FINE also since the load will NOT be 30A for any extended period of time. Besides, the genset is only rated for 28A output, not even 30.

OK, SO WHAT.
    This is one of those removable panel gensets. You cannot use the 30A receptacle when the panel is removed. That is because the "jumper cable" they provide is only 20A. THAT is why the receptacle behind the panel is 20A.

Once again, WHAT'S your point???

Once again, WHO is over thinking this???? If anyone it's you.

Like I have stated quite a few times in this thread. #10 is FINE.

I have to say, you are one strange man, you know that?
    you really need to learn how to read a chart.

when the numbers don't meet or exceed what's listed on the table, you move to the next line that does. first year apprentice should know that.

show me where the chart shows 6500 watts is ok for 10 gauge at 75'.

you can't because it doesn't.

strange no,

what's scary is 2 so called electricans were put in their place by a so called strange plumber who knew enough without all the research and when i did post a link from the manufacture, you still question my logic.

then again an extra $20.00 worth of wire to limit voltage drop is not going to break the bank for this project.

that's not strange, that's smarts.

now impress me with you plumbing knowledge.

rick.

p.s. i'm glad the o.p has the smarts to realize 8 gauge is the sensable choice.
    phoebe it is

Comment

using #8 if the generator was ever upgraded to a 10,000 watt unit there would be no need for retrofitting the line to the transfer switch, so it gives the future a little leeway, if the generator is ever replaced,

most of the voltage fluctuating will be in the generator, not the wire, as loads change, regardless of which gage of wire is used,
      Last edited by BHD; 12-15-2011, 11:30 AM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

"Adequate" doesn't do it for me!
        Its like being in a room full of terrorists with my Sig Sauer 15 round mag wishing I had loaded an extended 20 round one. Or hanging from a rappelling rope rated for 200lbs whilst carrying 100lbs of extra kit in my Bergen.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          you really need to learn how to read a chart.

when the numbers don't meet or exceed what's listed on the table, you move to the next line that does. first year apprentice should know that.

show me where the chart shows 6500 watts is ok for 10 gauge at 75'.

you can't because it doesn't.

strange no,

what's scary is 2 so called electricans were put in their place by a so called strange plumber who knew enough without all the research and when i did post a link from the manufacture, you still question my logic.

then again an extra $20.00 worth of wire to limit voltage drop is not going to break the bank for this project.

that's not strange, that's smarts.

now impress me with you plumbing knowledge.

rick.

p.s. i'm glad the o.p has the smarts to realize 8 gauge is the sensable choice.
          My goodness you are certainly an arrogant piece of work, aren't you.
          If you think you "put me in my place" you are sadly mistaken.

Please don't flatter yourself in trying to teach me anything, thank you.
          That chart is included with all their generators I would guess. It is a guideline. The numbers are vague at best. They make them for folks like you that will simply go bigger no matter what the situation. Bigger is better, right?

All I know is that #10 is fine for 28 amps, and 75' is not that far to be concerned about voltage drop. Even your vague chart agrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Scratcher View Post

Thanks to all who took time to reply. Your help is appreciated although I have to admit that I cant help thinking how interesting the experience would be If you were all on the same job at the same time trying to work together.
            It's funny. In many places plumbers and electricians are mortal enemies.
            Where I am we all get along great. In fact I am close friends with two plumbers. I don't think I could say the same for Rick though. I just get a bad vibe.

Comment

Jesus, guys, break the pills in half... you're over medicating.

#10 for 6.8kw @ 75' is fine. As someone else previously stated, I'd personally opt for #8 in preparation for the inevitable upgrade because 6.8kw is going to be sadly disappointing for a whole-house backup.
              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
              X