X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage drop 2

For some reason my other thread was closed, reopened and closed again. I replied to it when it was open but the post was held back for moderator approval and for some reason didn't get posted.

So anyway the update is that I have ordered #8 which will keep me future proofed for a while. Next plan is to cut a hole in the wall for my new exhaust system and muffler that I fabbed up a couple of days ago. I also have vent to install in the wall in front of the gennys intake where I will mount a fan. Then I plan to build a little internal enclosure inside the barn to help deaden the sound. I'm thinking of using concrete cap all round including the base with a space at the back for the fan and a cavity wooden removable lid filled with sound proofing. Thanks to all who replied. Your posts were really helpful!

Re: Voltage drop 2

on the enclosure, make sure it will properly cool, and do not make it so tight that maintenance is a pain to do, also by making it's own little enclosure, you may indirectly create a mouse haven, (also with the fuel if using in a building think about some fire prevention),

I do not know what you use the barn for, but you may be better to put up with the noise when using, (unless your off grid), (how many hours will you be using this generator a year),

I have had mine generators in for now about 37 years, (and have not ran it for 36 hrs, in the last 36 years, probably closer to less than 10 hrs, in need,) (yes we before that had a ice storm that we need it for 30 plus days, so even if you take the time before counting the 30 days, estimate we used it for 300 hours, but take the total over 37 years, that comes out to 11,2 hr a year,

Until I got my generator shed built, the generators just sat over in the corner of a building with the exhaust exited through the side wall, on the one generator with the radiator, some times I would start it just to warm up the building, The generator shed I have a huge louver in the main door, and normally will just leave the doors and windows, open, (all I am saying is to make sure you do not over heat or create a fire hazard),

I know some who use the cable and plug and keep the gennie tucked away and move it out when needed, and plug it in and extend the exhaust (if operated inside a building), and put it away when the emergency is over, (this is usually for space savings), (I think it is good to exercise the generators ever few months, my self, keep the fuel fresh (or drain and run dry, if gasoline).

on the transfer switch some wire in a light on the grid side, so when the power comes back on it is easily noted,
    Last edited by BHD; 12-19-2011, 11:30 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Re: Voltage drop 2

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      on the enclosure, make sure it will properly cool, and do not make it so tight that maintenance is a pain to do, also by making it's own little enclosure, you may indirectly create a mouse haven, (also with the fuel if using in a building think about some fire prevention),

I do not know what you use the barn for, but you may be better to put up with the noise when using, (unless your off grid), (how many hours will you be using this generator a year),

I have had mine generators in for now about 37 years, (and have not ran it for 36 hrs, in the last 36 years, probably closer to less than 10 hrs, in need,) (yes we before that had a ice storm that we need it for 30 plus days, so even if you take the time before counting the 30 days, estimate we used it for 300 hours, but take the total over 37 years, that comes out to 11,2 hr a year,

Until I got my generator shed built, the generators just sat over in the corner of a building with the exhaust exited through the side wall, on the one generator with the radiator, some times I would start it just to warm up the building, The generator shed I have a huge louver in the main door, and normally will just leave the doors and windows, open, (all I am saying is to make sure you do not over heat or create a fire hazard),

I know some who use the cable and plug and keep the gennie tucked away and move it out when needed, and plug it in and extend the exhaust (if operated inside a building), and put it away when the emergency is over, (this is usually for space savings), (I think it is good to exercise the generators ever few months, my self, keep the fuel fresh (or drain and run dry, if gasoline).

on the transfer switch some wire in a light on the grid side, so when the power comes back on it is easily noted,
      I will be cutting a large hole in the wall of the barn and installing a vent directly opposite where the gennys air intake will be. There will also be a large fan in between the vent and the intake to force cool air into the genny from outside. I will probably leave about 12 inched on both sides of the enclosure for air flow, and a vent on the font door. i may even install a little fan on the inside of this vent to pull the hot air out and into the barn. It will be used fairly frequently to power the barn. We usually get a couple of outages a year so I will be installing a transfer switch with an external receptacle to hook up to,

Comment

Working...
      X