Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunter-Douglas 12-Volt battery-powered blinds. Power from attic?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter-Douglas 12-Volt battery-powered blinds. Power from attic?

Mother's remote-controlled blind batteries are dead - again.
    Blinds are about 18 feet above the floor over fixed windows.

My tree boss's three-leg ladder is out of town. (Still had to set it on bar chairs to reach!)

(Dumb design - Rather than opening a blind cover from the front, the shades must be manually rolled up and blinds removed to replace the 8 AA batteries.)

Can I drill up through the window header into the attic and run a wire to each blind?
    Window opening is about 12-inches below the ceiling. 12 + drywall and 2 top plates = 16 inches (so I don't drill up through the roof!!)

I would connect to a seldom-turned-on ceiling lamp to power a 120 VAC to transformer in the attic to provide 12 VDC to the blinds.
    Toperate the blinds, turn on celing light and use remote. Then turn light off.

Would use 14-2 romex from the transformer to J-boxes in the attic.
    Can I use 4-conductor telephone house wire from the attic down to the blinds?
    I would fuse it for the amperage the telephone wire can conduct.

Suggestions?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 12-28-2011, 05:42 PM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Hunter-Douglas 12-Volt battery-powered blinds. Power from attic?

Yes...But why go to all that trouble when you could install a small nuclear reactor, dredge a lake to cool it and sell the resulting weapons grade plutonium to Iran.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
      Yes...But why go to all that trouble when you could install a small nuclear reactor, dredge a lake to cool it and sell the resulting weapons grade plutonium to Iran.
      I don't got no uranium.

Comment

could just extend the wires (like you suggested and use a battery holder) Battery holder - Google Search that is in a cupboard or some where that is accessible,

and do not set ladders up on chairs, tables, or stools, to add to the reach, the emergency room vist is much more expensive then the correct ladder,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          could just extend the wires (like you suggested and use a battery holder) ... that is in a cupboard or some where that is accessible, and do not set ladders up on chairs, tables, or stools, to add to the reach, the emergency room vist is much more expensive then the correct ladder,
          Quitexciting standing on an old three-leg ladder on high chairs!
          The windows are on plain walls, away from any cupboards or shelves.
          A car battery on a trickle-charger in the basement would work, but no way to get a wire up to the attic. Strange thathe house has no conduit from basemento attic for satelite or internet dish cables.
          I looked down the furnace flue chase.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
            I don't got no uranium.
            eBay is your friend.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Try one these Robert Little Giant SkyScraper Ladder | SkyScraper MXZ Ladder . I do not think the phone cable will work, because most phone wire is 24 ga. & that is good for about .58 amps. A double A battery can put out 2400mA.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                eBay is your friend.
                Actually, I do have some uranium and otheradioactives in lead-lined containers.
                But I ain't got no reactor.

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
                I do not think the phone cable will work, because most phone wire is 24 ga. & that is good for about .58 amps. A double A battery can put out 2400mA.
                What is the gauge of the old FOUR-conductor gray-jacketed telephone house wire?
                I would tie them together to make positive and negative conductors.
                Is there any other wire which I can use?
                Not sure that 14-2 Romex can fit into the blind housing. I'd have to dig a channel in the drywall so thathe Romex does not push the housing down from being flush.
                Last edited by Robert Gift; 12-31-2011, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Can you use wiremold? Paint to match and it will just about disappear.

Comment

Can you use wiremold? Paint to match and it will just about disappear.
                    I wish.
                    Am not allowed to marr the wall. Could not be hidden on a 17 foot high wall.
                    6 windows.
                    Would thermostat wire work? Think that I have some. 18 gauge?
                    Last edited by Robert Gift; 12-31-2011, 04:10 PM.

Comment

If you refuse to change the batterers, and let her pay some on else to do the job, I bet the idea to run a piece of wire mold will be much less objectionable,
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

18 gauge is fine. Run it and put the battery holder anywhere it is easy to service.

Comment

Can a recessed ceiling light be removed and replaced from beneath?

18 gauge is fine. Run it and put the battery holder anywhere it is easy to service.
                          If I can get the wires into the attic, I could splice them to 14-2 Romex and run ito a nearby second floor hallway recessed ceiling light.

But is a can light able to be removed using a step-ladder in the hall?
                          If so, I could just reach up and replace D cells in a battery pack and puthe can light back in place.

Thank you.
                          Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-02-2012, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Re: Can a recessed ceiling light be removed and replaced from beneath?

You won't be splicing 14-2 to 18ga. wire. Lets not forget the transformer. I am out of this thread. You doing electrical work is like giving a loaded gun to a 5 year old.
                            No disrespect intended.

Comment

Re: Can a recessed ceiling light be removed and replaced from beneath?

You won't be splicing 14-2 to 18ga. wire. Lets not forget the transformer. I am out of this thread. You doing electrical work is like giving a loaded gun to a 5 year old.
                              No disrespect intended.
                              What? Afraid of arcs and sparks and fire?
                              The battery pack of D cells would eliminate need of a transformer. Might also be less co$than a transformer operating 24/365.
                              I would fuse for the maximum amperage that 18 gauge wire handles.
                              Usually justwo blinds are operated, but more blinds might be retracting athe same time. So best to have 14-2 feeding each blind's branch.
                              Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-03-2012, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X