Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire question National Safecote Type SE style U two 6 & 6

Hi
    Just purchased our house and am working on some things. I am replacing my electric cooktop with a gas cooktop. When I went to remove the wiring, the previous owner had used wire clamps a slotted shape threaded receptacle that is tightened with a nut. My first instinct was the incoming wire that feeds the oven and cooktop that join in this junction box is aluminum. It may be tinned copper when I look at the end it does look copper. The wire is National Safecote Type SE style U two 6 & 6 I know it is #6 and the conductors are stranded. When I look up Type SE style U the internet returns both copper and aluminum. Ok thats the back ground now the questions. If this is indeed copper can I use wire nuts to join the oven wires to the incoming wire? If it is aluminum what is the correct way to join the two wires?

question 2 do I need to use a lower amperage breaker now that I have removed the cooktop?
    thanks for reading this and your time
    Sandie

Re: Wire question National Safecote Type SE style U two 6 & 6

You CANNOT extend or alter this circuit. This is an older "3-wire" 120/240v range circuit.
    If you need to extend this circuit you must replace it with a proper 4-wire circuit.

Comment

Sounds like what you are wanting to do is turn a range plug into a regular ole 110 outlet to plug the gas range into. If that is the case, yes, if it is copper you can wire nut a line going to the 110 outlet. On the breaker box end you have right now a two pole breaker, two hot lines going to the outlet. One of those you have to make your neutral, and swap out the two pole for a single pole 15 or 20 amp, depending on the wire you use going from the junction to the outlet. 20amp for 12, 15 for 14 gauge. The preferred way would be to abandon that line and pull a whole new line but it would be ok. Might want to check with your local inspector just to make sure he's ok with it though. If you go to sell the house later if the local jurisdiction doesn't like it a home inspection might flag it. But really all you are doing is going overkill on wire size, and ACCESSIBLE junction points are allowed.

Comment

Hey Paul what is your call sign? W1QJ here in CT. 73 Lou

Comment

Working...
        X