Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 240v outlet

Hello,

Long story short, our Kenmore dryer was turning but with no heat. I tested the breaker with my meter and it read fine. Red and black= 250, red or black to white was 121. The outlet read: 116 red and black, 88 red or black and white.

I've read that sometimes the leads are not long enough to reach the metal inside . Should I cut power, remove the cover, power on and then test again? Or that would be redundant? I have a Craftsman auto range digital meter.

I'm planning on checking the outlet to see if there are any loose/burnt wires. I also had planned on testing and replacing the element and or thermostat, which was my original diagonostics.

Thank you for your responses.

Re: 240v outlet

The Dyer is fine. Sounds like your neutral wire is loose @ the outlet. Turn breaker off & check connections @ outlet. Then turn breaker back on & check readings @ the connections of outlet. If they are still low turn breaker off & check connections @ breaker. Then turn breaker back on & check readings again @ the outlet. If still low trace wire back to panel box look for spots where the wire might have got hot & for junction boxes. If you find a junction box check the connections inside.

Comment

Now your cooking 240 volts is the way to go you`ll do everything in half the time now instead of your slow 115 volts

Tony

Comment

Thanks for replies fellas.

It seems the probes on my CMan meter were not long enough to get a good reading. I checked the breaker and it read 250v. No loose wires.

I checked the outlet and there were no loose or burnt wires. I tested the element and thermostat and the element was gone. Replaced the lament and put it back together.

My wife is doing laundry at home now.

So, can probes on some meters be too short?

Comment

I am having the same issue with my Kenmore dryer. I've checked the breaker (reading 240v) and tested the outlet (reading 120 from L1 and neutral and 120 from L2 and neutral) but nothing when I test L1 and L2. Don't see a junction box anywhere. Any ideas on what could be going on? Oh, and I replaced the outlet and rewired it just as it was before.

Comment

sounds like to me that both of your hot wires are connected to the same side of the buss, thus the "0" volts reading, my guess is something is not wired exactly as it was.
            why was the outlet replaced? changing a 3 to a 4 wire outlet?
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

You may want to check the heater coils...they do fail
              Also verify the thermostats are working
              the symptom is the dryer runs and no heat

Cactus Man

Comment

Unplug it, take the cover off and check for continuty across each heater element.
                Bad coil is the most likely scenario.

Comment

You have 1 leg open. The reason you see 120 from either leg to neutral is one leg is feeding back thru the heating coil. Unplug the dryer and test the receptacle: if you have 240 across the receptacle, the issue is in the dryer or the cord.

Comment

Working...
                  X