Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Can I drill 1/2-inchole down in top plates from attic?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I drill 1/2-inchole down in top plates from attic?

Just installed a toilet seat bidet.
    http://amdmllc.com/?page_id=330

Cut a GFI outlet into the wall behind the toilet under its tank (electrical inspector did not disapprove) and have 14-2 cable going into a mini-attic which is above the garage.

If possible, I'd like to run the cable down thexterior garage wall behind the garage drywall to a subpanel already inside the garage.

Is this possible, or is there too little room where the roof meets the exterior wall to drill a hole down through the two toplates? -> / /[][] Roof trusses are 2x4s.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 02-23-2012, 07:45 AM. Reason: added link
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Can I drill 1/2-inchole down in top plates from attic?

You might need a right-angle drill and a short auger bit, but I'm sure you can do it.

Comment

and have 14-2 cable going into a mini-attic which is above the garage.
      You need to use 12/2, as the bathroom receptacles are required to be on a dedicated, 20A circuit.

Comment

IMO cutting a hole in the sheet rock on the wall and lid and drilling your holes up into the top plate would be the easiest solution. One hole hole on the wall above the sub panel to get access to the top plate, see where the wires are, and get your wire fished into the top (or back) of the panel depending how its mounted. The other (holes) in the lid/ceiling to aid in fishing the wire and also to see where the wires are in the attic above the top plate to make sure you don't hit one. If you do not have any, I would suggest getting some fiberglass rods designed for fishing wire to keep the number of holes you have to make in the ceiling to a minimum..

[edit] DO NOT use any form of power tool for cutting your holes. Use a sheetrock saw only. Who knows what you can hit, damage and destroy. Even with the sheetrock saw you can damage wires and cut water pipes if used incorrectly. I try to keep my cutting within the first 2-3" of the tip of the saw, and am very conscientious about drag on the saw. Excess drag means you are cutting or are hooked on something other than sheetrock.
        Last edited by masterbeavis; 02-23-2012, 01:58 AM.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Smith View Post
          You need to use 12/2, as the bathroom receptacles are required to be on a dedicated, 20A circuit.
          I am not an electrician, but I believe what he is installing needs a dedicated 15A receptical that is only for the bidet only, this isn't a typical bathroom receptical as its behind the toilet and usually a single plug GFCI outlet.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
            t and usually a single plug GFCI outlet.
            They make single plug GFCI receptacles? I have never seen one. (doesnt' mean they don't exist, but I bet they are expensive!)
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Smith View Post
              The bidet manufacturer wants a "separated" GFI circuit to the bidet which draws up to 6 amps to heat water in a small tank.
              Th.is in a true water closet (toilet behind closed door) with only light switch and fan timer switch.
              You are correct, the bathroom receptacles are on 20A GFI.
              I wanted a CFI circuit breaker, but a duplex GFI outlet is much cheaper. I have a nightlight plugged in the unused receptacle.
              Last edited by Robert Gift; 02-23-2012, 07:46 AM.
              I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
              It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
              "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Working...
              X