Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At least TWO house fires in our area are believed caused by bathroom fans left on.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least TWO house fires in our area are believed caused by bathroom fans left on.

I have replaced all of our fan switches with timer switches.

Nice that we no longer need to return to the bathroom to turn the fan off, especially if sleeping.

I assume thathe fan motors are to harmlessly burn out and open without causing fire.

One fire was in a vacant house for sale. Believed that someone touring the house turned on the bathroom fan and accidentally left it on. At 3:30 a.m. I discovered the roof on fire.

Can I install a timer for a professional exhaust hood over the indoor gas barbeque a previous owner installed when he enclosed the back porch?
    Wife cooks smelly fish and oily foods there. She often leaves the fan on too long after cooking.
    Thank you.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: At least TWO house fires in our area are believed caused by bathroom fans left on

I see no problem with changing the switch for a timer. Just be sure the timer current rating is good enough for the load.

Comment

Re: At least TWO house fires in our area are believed caused by bathroom fans left on

After I've "visited the bathroom", so to speak, the fan needs a turbo switch, not a timer.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

i have a small adjustable timer [ i will find out the name of it ] that fits in the fan and when we turn on the light the fan comes on when we turn off the light the fan will stay running from 3 to 10 min what ever i set it for . so no need for a wall timer
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

if one would periodically maintain the units, blow out the motor and possibly lubricate the motors bearings it may be better than the timer,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
            i have a small adjustable timer [ i will find out the name of it ] that fits in the fan and when we turn on the light the fan comes on when we turn off the light the fan will stay running from 3 to 10 min what ever i set it for . so no need for a wall timer
            That would be great for the cooktop exhaust hood which Youqing tends to forget about and leave on too long. (She will not allow me to make a hole and install a timer in thexhaust hood.)

In a bathroom exhaust fan, is there any room in the housing for thatimer?
            I'd have to figure a way to get constant power to it.
            The light switch and fan switch are in a double box. Maybe I could converthe fan switch side into an outlet and plug in a night light.
            Last edited by Robert Gift; 02-25-2012, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              if one would periodically maintain the units, blow out the motor and possibly lubricate the motors bearings it may be better than the timer,
              I do that. Use 3-IN-ONE oil in the motor bushings.
              Buthe timer is nice so that you need not return to turn it off. Takes only three minutes to evacuate all of the air from the bathroom. But our timers are 10, 20, 30, 60 minutes.

Comment

All i was referring to is (my guess) that the fan over heats and starts the lint and dust on fire, yes the timer will keep the motor from running to long, but the running is not cause of the fire it is the the dust and other accumulation build up. that is causing the fan to run slow and heat and not have air flow cooling that is most likely the fires cause. and if still running then blows the fire into the attic setting the house on fire.

appers that there maybe a inherent problem in some fans as well. this is 2002 story. Broan-NuTone sued over bathroom fan fires - Milwaukee - The Business Journal

https://rccustomers.travelers.com/ri...ust%20Fans.pdf
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

When we added a vented hood to a friends covered patio we wired a limit switch into the flue, I think it was a 450 degree limit. "it's been a few years so my memory is sketchy"
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

this is what i have and it fits in side the fan

Amazon.com: Time Delay Relay ICM203 [Misc.]: Home Improvement
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

A spring wound timer is usually whats used in this application. It requires no neutral. Who made this determnation that fart fans caused these fires? I would be interested in the report.

PS................
                      Last edited by John Valdes; 03-03-2012, 12:52 PM.
                      Licensed Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by John Valdes View Post
                        A spring wound timer is usually whats used in this application. It requires no neutral. Who made this determnation that fart fans caused these fires? I would be interested in the report.
                        A neighbor said the fire department thinks it was caused by a 2nd floor bathroom fan.

Comment

Working...
                        X