Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing 2 lights 1500watt-240vac halogen for tennis court

Hello folks,

I am taking out 2 pcs 1500 watt-240vac halogen lamps off a lamp pole. I was thinking about using 2 Cooper Acura Small Floods in its place and not sure how bright the bulbs will be. The maximum lamp wattage is either 150MP or 175MH. Would you folks know if this set up will be brighter than the old system that i am taking out? Cooper makes a medium flood but the case gets really huge and heavy but the medium goes up to 400watts. Could you tell me the difference between pulse start MH vs just MH?
    Thank you in advance!

Re: Replacing 2 lights 1500watt-240vac halogen for tennis court

Pulse start MH lamps last about twice as long. The older probe start lamps used three electrodes to start the lamp and when the arc is struck, it sputters tungsten on the inside of the lamp's glass surface turning the glass dark and reducing the light output over the life of the lamp. You would need quite a few lamps to equal the light output you are replacing. Pulse start MH lamps start and warm up quicker and will light up when the temperature goes to -40ºF.

Comment

Re: Replacing 2 lights 1500watt-240vac halogen for tennis court

You will need near 400 watts of metal halide to replace 1500 watts of halogen.

All metal halide fixtures under 175 watts manufactured in the last 8 to 10 years are PULSE start. ALL mh fixtures to I think 1000 watts, since about 2010, are PULSE start.
      You can still by probe start bulbs for an old fixture, but not a new fixture.

You will feint at the price of say a 400 watt mh fixture. But you can save nearly 75% of your electric costs.

Comment

Working...
      X