Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
240 V three-phase. What voltage phase to phase and phase to ground. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 240 V three-phase. What voltage phase to phase and phase to ground.

Thank you.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: 240 V three-phase. What voltage phase to phase and phase to ground.

Do you mean 208v 3 phase? With 120/208 3phase it is 120v from any one of the 3 legs to nuetral and 208v between any 2 of the 3 legs

Comment

duplicate, the origional is below
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BHD; 04-09-2012, 09:32 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

240v has a high leg(200v to ground).between any two legs 240v. high leg 200v to ground, other two phases each to ground is 120v.

High leg must be identified with orange tape where i am ,[some states use alternate color]

Huck

Comment

if your discussing a delta 240,

you have 120/120/ 208, the 208 is the wild leg and my understanding is to marked by a orange wire or marked, the 208 is (normally) never used to ground

the ground is tied between two of the phases,
          this type of three phase is used in locations where single phase is the main desired configuration, many times it produced with only two transformers using a open delta arrangement, on lower power applications,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by huckster4 View Post
            240v has a high leg(200v to ground).between any two legs 240v. high leg 200v to ground, other two phases each to ground is 120v.
            High leg must be identified with orange tape where i am ,[some states use alternate color]
            Huck
            Thank you.
            In this old trailer park's mini sewage plant, at first glance I think all the wires are black. The power is used for Roots blowers. The air pumped bubbles up from the bottom and mixes the liquor (actual term) and aerates the raw sewage to speedigestion.
            I'll have to use my voltmeter to make up a circuit diagram and lableverything.

Comment

It depends on what kind of a three phase service you have

If you have a stinger leg (208 to ground) it is a delta configuration. Typically, a delta configuration has two legs which are 120v to ground and one leg (the stinger) which is 208v to ground. There would be 240v between any of the three legs.

At the power company that I worked for we typically provided two wye three phase configurations. One had three legs which were 120v to ground and 208v between any two legs. The other provided 277v to ground on each leg and 480v between any two legs

Comment

This may sound unkind...( I do not know the answer to your question) .... but if you have to ask that, you should NOT be working on it. 3-phase is not a DIY project.

Comment

if you have 240v to ground on each phase then you may have a 480v delta system with no neutral. Thyis type of system is generally found at industrial sites because it's main use is to supply perfectly balanced power to 3phase 480v motors.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                    I'll have to use my voltmeter to make up a circuit diagram and lableverything.
                    Would this not be a job for an electrician?
                    Licensed Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                      This may sound unkind...( I do not know the answer to your question) .... but if you have to ask that, you should NOT be working on it. 3-phase is not a DIY project.
                      I agree

Comment

Originally posted by John Valdes View Post
                        Would this not be a job for an electrician?
                        The poor trailer park east of Denver cannot afford an electrician.
                        As a ham radioperator, I understand electrical circuits and high voltages.
                        Without seeing the power circuitry, I do not knowhathe voltages will be unless I bring the volt-ohmeter and measureverything.
                        I wanto save a 25-mile round trip outhere.
                        I connected my 240-Volthree-phase 10hp air raid siren so they have tornado warning.
                        (Pay no attention to thosexposed wires not yet enclosed in conduit.)
                        Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-04-2012, 09:44 AM. Reason: added siren photo

Comment

Those wires can make a dandy clothes line

Comment

Working...
                          X