X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole house surge protection

I'm in the process of installing a new 200amp service. This will replace an old
    1965 vintage Zinsco panel.

The power company is on board and I'm waiting for the permit process etc.

I wonder what is the "best" whole house surge protection unit out there?
    what specifications should I consider critical in the decision process?

Square-D, Siemens , GE, other...?????

I'd really like it "made in USA" if possible.

Cactus Man

Re: Whole house surge protection

GOSH! 49 views and not a single reply?
    This is not a trick question....

Any electricians out there familiar with whole house surge protectors?

Cactus Man
    Last edited by cactusman; 05-17-2012, 10:59 PM.

Comment

All I know is our power company was advertising them some time ago,

I would make sure it is surge and not just a lighting protector, (nothing wrong with a lighting protector but will not stop it before it blows electronics, more for wells and that type of load, or that is my understanding of them)
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I would like to know who has honored a warranty claim and go with them.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • conductor fault locating
        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          All I know is our power company was advertising them some time ago,

I would make sure it is surge and not just a lighting protector, (nothing wrong with a lighting protector but will not stop it before it blows electronics, more for wells and that type of load, or that is my understanding of them)
          Some of the surge protectors the power companies offer don't come with a guarantee

Comment

MOVs degrade over time and lose their effectiveness. We have them installed in many
            control panels and we replace them as we go into those panels to do work.

Also, low voltage 'hits' on MOVs (or Varistors as they are known by some) will contribute
            to their early degradation. you can't in most cases visually see that they are 'bad', they
            would need to be tested. My house has MOVs installed for surge protection when it was
            built 25 years ago. Knowing what I do from how we handle MOVs at work I don't take
            any credit for them as this age. I use plug-in surge protection for all electronic loads like
            TVs and computers and even my phone when charging it from an AC outlet.

Read this, especially the part on hazards.
            Varistor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do a Google Search and you'll finds loads of info on "MOV Degradation"

The next time I have reason to workk in my main panel, I plan to remove the old MOVs.
            Don't know if I will replace them as my Generlink has whole house surge protection in it
            and that is outside at the meter socket.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 05-17-2012, 04:39 PM.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Here We Go ,More info
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                I'm in the process of installing a new 200amp service. This will replace an old
                1965 vintage Zinsco panel.

The power company is on board and I'm waiting for the permit process etc.

I wonder what is the "best" whole house surge protection unit out there? I don't know if there is a "best", but the level of protection is measured in KA or Joules. If you want to protect a particular device(say a TV) it is best to protect it right at the device
                what specifications should I consider critical in the decision process?Max Voltage, Max Current, and IR (interrupt rating) or AIC rating (ask your utility what the available current to your house is)

Square-D, Siemens , GE, other...?????

I'd really like it "made in USA" if possible.Good luck

Cactus Man
                A popular brand for TVSS are Sola, IslaGard and Sycom

Comment

Ive had good luck with Siemens products
                  although the best protection you can do for electronics is simply to disconnect and unplug them during a storm
                  shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X