X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conduit question

When installing conduit such as liquid tight for a 240 volt whip between the disconnect and a condensing unit, does it matter if Romex cable is used or should three single conductors be ran? Didn't know if heat dissipation would be an issue or not.

Re: Conduit question

Never run romex in ANY conduit !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

That would be prohibited under the NEC code because you cannot run romex through conduit in what would be considered a wet location (outside) Romex may be run through conduit inside for protection purposes.

Comment

No inspector sign off romex in conduit here. I just wouldn't do it ! We are under the NEC and amendments to it by each city.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          No inspector sign off romex in conduit here. I just wouldn't do it ! We are under the NEC and amendments to it by each city.
          The whole "no romex in conduit" thing is a myth. It IS allowed, but it is a very bad idea and pretty hard to meet all applicable codes, for those of us that know the codes before doing the work.
          Any inspector that tells you otherwise either better have an amendment citation to back it up or is making it up to suit himself.

That said, see post #3.

Comment

Originally posted by JONESY View Post
            When installing conduit such as liquid tight for a 240 volt whip between the disconnect and a condensing unit, does it matter if Romex cable is used or should three single conductors be ran? Didn't know if heat dissipation would be an issue or not.
            The whip for a condensing unit can be purchased with the wires already in it at the HVAC supply house. Throw this thread at the HVAC boys, they should say the same thing. I never ran much of anything outside except for these whips and they were on the truck with the rest of the goodies all ready to go. Inside for burners and wiring in general for my equipment after the disconnect I like to use THHN. They make a little cart to put 500' spools on, grab your colors and pull.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • conductor fault locating
            • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
              The whole "no romex in conduit" thing is a myth. It IS allowed, but it is a very bad idea and pretty hard to meet all applicable codes, for those of us that know the codes before doing the work.
              Any inspector that tells you otherwise either better have an amendment citation to back it up or is making it up to suit himself.

That said, see post #3.
              Try it in S.F. I'll sell tickets! He He

Comment

Try it in S.F. I'll sell tickets! He He
                So do they have a citation to back it up, or do you just cave on things like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                  The whip for a condensing unit can be purchased with the wires already in it at the HVAC supply house. Throw this thread at the HVAC boys, they should say the same thing. I never ran much of anything outside except for these whips and they were on the truck with the rest of the goodies all ready to go. Inside for burners and wiring in general for my equipment after the disconnect I like to use THHN. They make a little cart to put 500' spools on, grab your colors and pull.
                  Well, since this is and electrical question, and this is the electrical forum, he is in the right place.
                  Those pre-made whips are for the HVAC guys who don't stock this stuff.

Comment

Well, since this is and electrical question, and this is the electrical forum, he is in the right place.
                    Those pre-made whips are for the HVAC guys who don't stock this stuff.
                    Sorry, but he is asking about a whip specifically for a condenser so...I guess you missed that part. I know you guys would know best for an electrical question hands down but I thought it would be nice to tell him what he could use rather than just what he couldn't use. Just giving him options.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • conductor fault locating
                    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

So do they have a citation to back it up, or do you just cave on things like this.
                      I was taught it was wrong, hacker practice , and just wouldn,t go there. I was told heat build up was the reason.
                      I'm not a CAVE kinda Guy, Just one that cares very much what My hands produce !

Comment

I was taught it was wrong, hacker practice , and just wouldn,t go there. I was told heat build up was the reason.
                        I'm not a CAVE kinda Guy, Just one that cares very much what My hands produce !
                        Do you always do only what "you're told"? Did you ever look anything up for yourself?

The old "heat build up" thing was made up by those who didn't know the real code and it just sounded good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                          Sorry, but he is asking about a whip specifically for a condenser so...I guess you missed that part.
                          Nope, didn't miss anything, this time.
                          Sorry, but he was NOT specifically asking about an AC condensor. He just used that as an example of what he meant.
                          When installing conduit such as liquid tight for a 240 volt whip between the disconnect and a condensing unit...
                          I realize this is being nit picky, but telling someone to go to the HVAC forum for electrical advice is incorrect. If the HVAC guys know what they're talking about and want to come here and give input that's fine IMO.
                          Why do you think I don't go there? Because I don't know squat about A/C. I can wire any unit you give me, but don't ask me which side is high pressure and which is low. I'll just point to the line set.

Comment

Do you always do only what "you're told"? Did you ever look anything up for yourself?

The old "heat build up" thing was made up by those who didn't know the real code and it just sounded good.
                            I agree with You " IT'S A BAD IDEA " HACKETY HACK HACK HACK

Comment

I guess I have my answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X