X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check this out

Neighbor comes over the other day and says to me..." Can I see your panel box?". With a puzzled look on my face, we headed down stairs to my panel box, open it up, and he looks at the main breaker and says..."My switch lever is missing as well".

This is a new construction home, and we checked a few other homes being built in the neighborhood, and they are all the same. I'm not sure why the electricians did this, so maybe you guys might have an answer to that. If the main breaker tripped, or I had to shut it off...how would I even do that?

Neighbor already received a return phone call from the electrician, and he's puzzled as to why this was done as well, and neighbor sent him a picture so the electrician didn't think he was crazy.

Regardless, I submitted it to the builder to be corrected under warranty.

Re: Check this out

strange
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

STRANGE. Bring back the Elec. inspector,and ask Him if that's his signature on the 2 final cards
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

what the... what brand panel is it? Ive never seen anything like that...

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
          what the... what brand panel is it? Ive never seen anything like that...
          It's a siemens panel.

I never in my life seen a main breaker like that either. Pop thinks they had some broken ones to get rid of, and well...they sure did. lol

Comment

Do you have an outside disconnect?

I bet the panel covers slipped out of the guys hands when installing it and it sheared the handle off.
            This was a common problem with older FPE covers where the main handle stuck out so far you could hardly take the cover off without tripping the main.
            Last edited by Speedy Petey; 05-30-2012, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
              Do you have an outside disconnect?

I bet the panel covers slipped out of the guys hands when installing it and it sheared the handle off.
              This was a common problem with older FPE covers where the main handle stuck out so far you could hardly take the cover off without tripping the main.
              No outside disconnects here.

You're reasoning makes sense, but the owners of this company should take a long look at the guy who's doing this, cause he has butter fingers to be doing this on quite a few houses in here.

Comment

I would like to hear what happens when this gets resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                  I would like to hear what happens when this gets resolved.
                  Ironic you should say that...cause today I got some information from the Superintendent who's running this job site.

He had a talk with the someone from the electrician's company explaining the issue, and they are claiming someone is vandalizing these breakers! lol The superintendent understands that anything can happen, but why in the world would someone come into some of these homes and go directly to the panel box and rip them off? It was almost comical the way he explained it to me today, but if someone was coming in here to damage or take things, I would think a 200amp breaker would be the last thing on the list.

So anyways, this company wants to charge the builder $195.00 for each house that has a broken main breaker. So there is going to be some type of argument there, as the Superintendent isn't going to let that one fly.

But the Super went around to each house, and 7 out of the 15 they built so far have broken main breaker switches. The bottom line that was put to me was...it will get replaced.

Comment

Tell a captain at the local fire Dept. They need this main shut off in a fire! It will get fixed next day. You owe Me a root beer
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

makes me wonder if one of the tradesmen is ticked of at the builder or electrical contractor? not to start a union war in this thread, but was the electrical contractor or any other trade a union shop? I hate to say it, but I've read about and heard about union guys doing similar bs to non-union tradesmen... again, not tryin to stir the pot, but it has happened. maybe it was a disgruntled employee, who knows.

Comment

I'm guessing track housing would be non union.I Think Eddy was pissed off He was fired.

Comment

Well hey, at least your neighbor made you aware of the problem and you're going to get it fixed. It is weird though....I'm pretty sure those breakers are pretty sturdy in construction and it would take someone TRYING to break off the handle to actually break it off.
                          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                          X