X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copper thieves !!!!!

Read on another Forum a poor texan had His Elec. wiring cut out of His Attic. They cut it off right at the top 2x4 plate! No way to Junction Box it. He will have to rewire Whole Home! Was at the Elec. supply house and told this story to a S.F. elec. Con.t. He is drilling some holes in rock at a empty Comm. building. Almost drilled into some copper pipe PAINTED BLACK ! They told Him They paint all the copper black for the Copper thieves ! They had to re wire 5 times, He found out! Finally other Elec said I;m not coming back ,even though He was being paid !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: copper thieves !!!!!

A friend of mine does standing seam roofs. His company was doing a new copper standing seam roof at a train station here in CT. Third day on the two day job and they are replacing what the copper thieves stole the previous two nights. They finally had to hire armed security. I bet the thieves were disappointed to find armed guards when they came back that night.

Comment

Two story's to warm Your heart. A few Years ago there was a vacant factory checked daily be a security Co. The guard saw an alum. ladder with a crispy thief that had cut into a 440 3 phase cable with his bolt cutters !
      Second one, was a 911 call about a man on fire up a utility pole at night. When the police arrived the guy that called was the only vehicle on this remote rural road. He admitted He was the brains of the duo thieves !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Well they can't get much for pex

Comment

Presently re-piping 4 buildings 32,000 sf. Buildings were vacant, took them about a week before someone noted an open door. They took everything copper, from upon top of the roof to all the wire below in conduit. 4-800 Amp services as well. As usual the insurance company doesn't want to pay what its' going to cost.

Comment

That is huge ! Sounds like alarm systems are a must today on Comm. buildings.

Comment

Seems like every time i tell a copper thief story , I get one in return, from a cont.
              Comm. building,Mon. morn., the elevator isn't working ! You guessed it the traveling
              copper cable walked away. Now that's some serious copper !

Comment

What do railroads use? White metal stranded conductors.

In a grade crossing signal cabinet are white metal stranded flexible wires.
                What is this?

In Panama, theives removed wires to railroad crossing signals.
                People learned thathey cannotrusthathe signals will properly operate.
                Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-11-2012, 12:55 PM.
                I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Re: What do railroads use? White metal stranded conductors.

there was a run of cast iron manholes not too long ago. they finally caught a recycling yard where the thieves were cashing in on them.

i've seen a hugh amount of brass fire hydrant caps missing in beverly hills especially. they cut off the retainer chain and steal the caps. city got smart and have replaced them with cheap plastic,

a park brass statue came up missing. they finally caught the thief after he had already cut the statue in half. they used a tow truck to lift it up and off the concrete base.

it's bad enough they steal this stuff, but they really need to go after the recycling yards too for buying it. pretty easy to figure out brand new copper and fittings are not scrap.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    there was a run of cast iron manholes not too long ago. they finally caught a recycling yard where the thieves were cashing in on them.

i've seen a hugh amount of brass fire hydrant caps missing in beverly hills especially. they cut off the retainer chain and steal the caps. city got smart and have replaced them with cheap plastic,

a park brass statue came up missing. they finally caught the thief after he had already cut the statue in half. they used a tow truck to lift it up and off the concrete base.

it's bad enough they steal this stuff, but they really need to go after the recycling yards too for buying it. pretty easy to figure out brand new copper and fittings are not scrap.

rick.
                    Amen to that Rick. WE have issues down here with shoddy yards buying the stolen stuff. Mind you the morons are getting maybe half what its worth and then getting dobbed in when the heat turns up. had a few crispys too. need a few more but.............!!!!

Comment

In farm country,When domestic dogs Kill sheep, the ranchers do this. They hang their bullet ridden carcasses on their road side fences as a message. We should do the same with thieves ! I remember a Comm. building owner got tired of the same thief barring off His flat roof skylight and stealing His stuff. He installed metal re bar, insulated at perimeter, and electrified. GRILLED EM !

Comment

As a retired telephone lineman, this thread caught my eye. We were constantly replacing lead shielded copper cable stolen off apartment buildings in the south bronx. First time we would replace with the more modern plastic over copper cable right onto the buildings where the cable was stolen. If that cable was stolen we would place telephone poles, and run the cable away from the buildings. Thieves sometimes would tear that cable down, forcing use to use lashing wire or cable clamps. Very costly process for the utility and customers and very little profit for the thieves. They would sometimes break the locks off our trucks and steal tools, even heavy equipment. Had a fourteen foot, double Ibeam 150lb aluminum frame stolen off the truck as we worked no more than half a city block away. Found the frame at a nearby junk yard. The owner returned the item saying one of his workers paid $20. That frame was worth a couple thousand! Saw where thieves were stealing aluminum siding off homes in FL, carried it off in shopping carts. I like Tool's suggestion to disuade the bad guys.
                        The manhole covers in NYCity weigh around 400lbs, never heard of one being stolen! I have not seen such large covers elsewhere. Frank

Comment

Somebody came through our part of the city and took all the copper ground lines from the hydro transformers for blocks and blocks in the last few weeks.

I wonder if they did it during the day, with a hardhat, reflective vest and ladder probably nobody would even look twice at someone working on a pole.
                          Last edited by mbhydro; 06-14-2012, 02:01 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

Working...
                          X