X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFL burning out, help please

I just replace all of my br20 50 watt halogen floods with br20 cfl 14 watt lamps. Trying to save some money.

Within ten minutes, 6 of my cfl lamps were burned out.

These lamps are $6 a piece at the Home Depot, and I didn't want to risk the other 14 burning out, so I pulled them all.

They are on a track, 20 amp circuit. I tested to make sure I didnt have a reversed neutral. I didn't. Ground is good. I get 124 volts at the track connection, and 124 volts at the breaker.

Do you think the 124 volts is frying these? They are rated, at 120 volts, so I would not think so, but I cant risk burning out any more. Never had trouble with this track before running the halogen.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Dan

Re: CFL burning out, help please

Is there a dimmer on the fixture?

Comment

Nope, good point. It's just a simple on/off switch.

Comment

With no dimmer and proper wiring, it pretty much leaves the bulbs. Where were the bulbs made? China by chance? Get your money back and try a different brand.

Comment

I have never seen a CFL that was not made in China,

I would return the bulbs most have some so called warranty,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I hate cfl's, I'm slowly replacing my bulbs with LED lights. Instant on, more of a soft light, and last way longer than cfl's and use even less energy. I have about 30 can lights to swap, so it will take me a while.

Comment

I just finished a job in a home owners' family room - 16 canlights with CFL's. I did the living room for them about 3 years ago. The living room lights were still lighting but with about 50% less light and a distinctly yellow tint. LED's don't do that.

Comment

Check out cflbulbs.com. Says that installing the bulbs by turning the glass tube can cause issues with them leaking. Might look into that.

Comment

Working...
                X