X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor fault + repair

An electrician wired a forward/reverse motor circuit, but the following faults were found
    a/ motor failed to start

b/ after starting the motor run in only one direction even when stop and start

1/ three possible cause for above

2/ why the motor only run in one direction

Re: motor fault + repair

Originally posted by Ky4eva View Post
    An electrician wired a forward/reverse motor circuit, but the following faults were found
    a/ motor failed to start

b/ after starting the motor run in only one direction even when stop and start

1/ three possible cause for above

2/ why the motor only run in one direction
    I think more information is needed. First off, is this a DC or AC motor? Secondly, IF AC, it is 3 phase or single phase? Third, is the motor one that was made to be reversed?

Comment

Its a AC powered motor ,and yes its a forward reverse motor and also its 3 phase wiring

Comment

Sounds like you have a phase sensative motor. You have to have each hot wired in a specific spot ( you have 9 different combinations & only 1 is going to work). This is not like a normal 3-phase 1 direction motor where you can just switch 2 hots to get the direction you want it to go.

Comment

It is or isn't running?

Is it wired right?
          Have you confirmed proper phase rotation?
          Are all of the heater tabs in the motor starter there/good?
          Is there a three way valve in the system? Was it set? If none is it only spinning backwards when another pump turns on? If this is the case the shaft may be sheared.

More info needed.
          Last edited by Gettinit; 07-09-2012, 09:44 AM.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • conductor fault locating
          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

it appears to be wired wrong, to reverse a thee phase motor you normally reverse any two leads. (I supposed that a winding in the motor could be at fault as well), and if it does not start it may have two leads on the same line, making it act like it is on single phase,

the first picture is the switching that takes place in side of a drum type switch,

the second picture is wiring diagrams on a drum switch (showing nearly all types of motors) three phase on bottom line,

if it via contractors one will just have to study it out and see what is crossed or miss wired,
            Attached Files
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Almost forgot to ask....is there a line reactor for it? Is there a dc volt VFD being used for the motor? What is signaling the motor to do what you want it to do?
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • and other specialties.

Comment

Update?
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • and other specialties.

Comment

This should be easy for the electrician to fix.
                  Licensed Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by John Valdes View Post
                    This should be easy for the electrician to fix.
                    This should be easy for anyone to figure out with a few hand tools and a meter.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • and other specialties.

Comment

Did anyone notice--The OP occupation says "electrician" Something doesn't smell right.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                        Did anyone notice--The OP occupation says "electrician" Something doesn't smell right.
                        I figured he was a new helper trying to get his boss off with a few suggestions from others. As little info that he put up without any actual investigation/results on his part, I was also curious.
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • and other specialties.

Comment

People who have no idea what they are talking about (when it comes to electricity) should keep their opinions to themselves.

The origional post said "An Electrician wired...." The best solution have the "Electrician" fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
                            People who have no idea what they are talking about (when it comes to electricity) should keep their opinions to themselves.

The origional post said "An Electrician wired...." The best solution have the "Electrician" fix it.
                            Funny how I go behind electricians quite often. I work on VFD's. I work on variable speed blowers. I work on pumps and it could be a pump issue. If there is something that I brought to the table that is wrong, then by all means pipe up. I am on my phone so I cannot tell if you have brought anything to the table as of yet other than a smart remark. If their is something you can add that may help, we are all ears....I know I am.
                            AllurePlumbing.com
                            • leak detection
                            • drain cleaning
                            • utility locating
                            • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                              Funny how I go behind electricians quite often. I work on VFD's. I work on variable speed blowers. I work on pumps and it could be a pump issue. If there is something that I brought to the table that is wrong, then by all means pipe up. I am on my phone so I cannot tell if you have brought anything to the table as of yet other than a smart remark. If their is something you can add that may help, we are all ears....I know I am.
                              It's better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X