Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen copper ground wire causes fatal wild fire

Fire marshal releases Wood Hollow findings | Deseret News

"... wind likely caused a power line to come too close to the top of another power pole, sparking a grass fire at its base. The electrical ground wires had been removed by copper thieves, which eliminated the system's ability to properly dissipate the electrical current ..."
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Stolen copper ground wire causes fatal wild fire

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
    Fire marshal releases Wood Hollow findings | Deseret News

"... wind likely caused a power line to come too close to the top of another power pole, sparking a grass fire at its base. The electrical ground wires had been removed by copper thieves, which eliminated the system's ability to properly dissipate the electrical current ..."
    "It aint a ground wire ,It;s pay dirt! "
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I do not know about other places,
      but IN 1977 we had an Ice storm and broke off poles in out in our pasture, (these were on a brand new line being built) any way the power company gave us the broken poles, and I have bought other power poles from them as well, but the ground wire seems to be a copper coated steel wire, which would bring the same as plain old steel wire,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by bhd View Post
        i do not know about other places,
        but in 1977 we had an ice storm and broke off poles in out in our pasture, (these were on a brand new line being built) any way the power company gave us the broken poles, and i have bought other power poles from them as well, but the ground wire seems to be a copper coated steel wire, which would bring the same as plain old steel wire,
        crap. Now you tell me !!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

A number of utilities are trying the copper coated lines in an effort to stop copper theft.

Numerous blocks of back lanes around my house have had the ground lines harvested in the last month or so. Still waiting for the utility to come out and repair them.

Comment

Originally posted by mbhydro View Post
            a number of utilities are trying the copper coated lines in an effort to stop copper theft.

Numerous blocks of back lanes around my house have had the ground lines harvested in the last month or so. Still waiting for the utility to come out and repair them.
            what'd they bring ?

Comment

Still waiting to see what they are going to install. I have been told it will be fixed but they don't know when they will have a crew available.

Comment

Working...
              X