X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI question

I have two GFCI outlets in my kitchen, one on each side of the stove. When I use the outlet on the left with my vacuum sealer it will trip sometimes when the vacuum pump starts. If I use the GCFI outlet on the right, the one on the left still trips. This happens about one in five times when the vac pump turns on. And this is the only appliance that has a problem. There is no ground on the plug and the housing on the sealer is plastic with rubber feet on a granite counter. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Re: GFCI question

First off, there is no reason why you should have 2 GFCI outlets on the same circuit. One GFCi can support any number of "regular" outlets down stream of it. By the fact that 2 GFCI outlets are on the same line that are somehow related, I suspect whoever wired them didn't know what they were doing. Although there is nothing that says that you "can't" run 2 GFCI outlets on the same line, there is no reason to do so when one will support any number down stream. Obviously both outlets are on the same breaker and they respond differently to the appliance in question. It could be the one that trips (one to the left) is faulty. I would look into the wiring and remove one (the one that faults) and see which one has the closest to the feed and replace it and elimeinate the other.

Comment

Re: GFCI question

Thanks for the reply Qroking. I guess I left out an important part of my question. The two GFCIs are on different circuits. The one on the left controls pretty much everything on the wall opposite the stove and the one on the right controls everything else in the kitchen. When I have a little more time I'll get out the vac sealer and make a few more checks.
      When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Working...
      X