X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I get power to the attic?

I have a basic colonial style house with an attic that is accessed by a trapdoor. I'd like to add security cameras to the soffits on the corners of the house, but these require power. My thought was to place an outlet in the vicinity of each camera location so that each camera's wall wart can be plugged in.

I noticed my master bathroom GFCI enters the attic to feed our other upstairs bath; maybe I can tap into that circuit?

What is the preferred mounting method for outlets in an unfinished attic? We have a "fink truss" as shown on this site. I'd imagine the compression web would be the best location, to avoid roofing nails or any saw work from the outside.

Anything I'm missing?

Re: How can I get power to the attic?

We use a CC TV cameras to video our church services, and they take a power supply and the camera them selfs are low voltage, on one camera we just extend the low voltage line with some wire, and the power supply is actually in our sound room of the church,

OK what I am suggesting is to run the low voltage line, to the camera not the 120 line for the power supply, If you have to run coax then running the low voltage with it would not be a problem, or a CCTV line, (and some of the CCTV lines have the power cable in them, I have a 300' length that does I have use to drop down a well to inspect the well,

two examples below of the cable and power wire in one cable,
    Amazon.com: cctv wire

Pre-Made Security Camera Cable
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      We use a CC TV cameras to video our church services, and they take a power supply and the camera them selfs are low voltage, on one camera we just extend the low voltage line with some wire, and the power supply is actually in our sound room of the church,

OK what I am suggesting is to run the low voltage line, to the camera not the 120 line for the power supply, If you have to run coax then running the low voltage with it would not be a problem, or a CCTV line, (and some of the CCTV lines have the power cable in them, I have a 300' length that does I have use to drop down a well to inspect the well,

two examples below of the cable and power wire in one cable,
      Amazon.com: cctv wire

Pre-Made Security Camera Cable
      Thanks. I believe I will be using cat6 wiring, and most cameras I find online have the ethernet socket and a separate DC power socket.

Comment

Joe, please post info. on what You choose. I am also in the market,Thanks
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
          I noticed my master bathroom GFCI enters the attic to feed our other upstairs bath; maybe I can tap into that circuit?
          NO

You'd be better off to plug your transformer in by your monitor and just run the low voltage stuff up there. Power supplies usually can usually be daisy chained in the attic to feed several cameras

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
            NO

You'd be better off to plug your transformer in by your monitor and just run the low voltage stuff up there. Power supplies usually can usually be daisy chained in the attic to feed several cameras
            I am learning more and more about this topic, and thank you all for the responses. The coaxial + power cables (sometimes called siamese) look to be an industry standard, and most security systems in a box have transformers with 4 pigtails to feed the 4 cameras. Adding more cameras means adding another transformer.

I am also learning that PoE (power over ethernet) is not yet standardized enough for these systems, and it doesn't provide the amount of power to illuminate the infrared lamps as well as the method above. A majority of the DVRs that you can buy now have BNC connectors, so that is the standard and works well with cameras already out there.

As far as routing cables from my basement (where the DVR will live) to the attic, the previous owners left an open conduit from the attic to the basement, and I think I can get 4 cables in there.

Comment

Working...
            X