X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me understand the type of switch I need

I have an application where I'd like to add a switch to control a motor and a fan. The type of usage would be something like this:

Off position: no power to motor, no power to fan
    Middle position: power to fan only
    Top position: power to both fan and motor

This is a hobby application, where both the motor and the fan are inside a small enclosure, so I want the fan to be running whenever the motor runs (top position), but also provide the ability to run the fan alone to cool the enclosure after a run (middle position).

So what is the type of switch I'd need for this? I just don't know what to search for in google.

THANKS.

Re: Help me understand the type of switch I need

The simplest way would be two toggle switches, one for the fan and one for the motor. There are lots off rotary 3 position switches but I can't find one that would let you run the fan by itself and the motor and the fan together. You would probably have to use a couple of relays.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
      The simplest way would be two toggle switches, one for the fan and one for the motor. There are lots off rotary 3 position switches but I can't find one that would let you run the fan by itself and the motor and the fan together. You would probably have to use a couple of relays.
      Actually, I currently use two rocker switches now. I'm just trying to find a simpler solution that does both operations with a single device.

Comment

Are these (fan and motor) 120 volt? 12 volt? or?

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
          Are these (fan and motor) 120 volt? 12 volt? or?
          120 volt each. They are contained in a ventilated gray plastic outdoor enclosure, and the switches are on the top. It is used to house a pump used for my homebrewing.

Comment

Would this do it? <http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CARLING-TECHNOLOGIES-Toggle-Switch-4X851?Pid=search>

Comment

but I am thinking you will a two pole version, of a off, on, on,Or on off on it is called being called by some, a double pole double throw, I but I was some what under the empresson that if there are three spots on it it is triple throw, as a three way light switch is a double throw switch only two postions, but if it has a third location it seems to me it should be a triple throw,

any way here is a google link for a ON OFF ON switch that has two sides, there calling it a double throw, CARLING Technologies 2GM91-78 Toggle Switch DPDT 15A On/Off/On

Switch, Toggle, DPDT - Toggle Switches - Switches - 4X851 : Grainger Industrial Supply

dptt switch - Google Search

when I search for jsut DTDP most come up a jsut ON and ON,
              http://www.google.com/search?num=100....1.3bIOe045j9k

the double pole, one side for the motor and one side for the fan, on one side you wire to only the motor comes on and not on the other side and the fan on both on's. so when in one positon the fan only and the other both the fan and motor, the hot most likely jsut jumper bewteen the to poles,
              Last edited by BHD; 08-15-2012, 05:37 PM.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Go to an electrical supply store that sells lighting and bathroom fixtures. There should be a rotory switch you can buy separately that is normally used for a bathroom fan where one position is the light and the next posiiton is fan and light. Wire the motor and fan the way the switch works for light and fan. That should do it. Usually Nutone has it.

Comment

Originally posted by QROKING View Post
                  Go to an electrical supply store that sells lighting and bathroom fixtures. There should be a rotory switch you can buy separately that is normally used for a bathroom fan where one position is the light and the next posiiton is fan and light. Wire the motor and fan the way the switch works for light and fan. That should do it. Usually Nutone has it.
                  This is what I may end up doing. Right now, the switches are arranged in series, so switch #1 turns on the fan only, and switch #2 is downstream from #1 and turns on the motor.

Ultimately, I'd like to keep it simple and cheap, with the possible intention of making a kit to sell to fellow homebrewers.

Comment

i would recommend you to use three socket power plug its best as per your needs for use
                    Get More info

Comment

The switch you need is called double pole double throw center off
                      This is a 6 terminal switch. Wire 120 to the middle two terminals. Wire the fan to the top left. Wire the fan to the bottom left and the motor to the bottom right.
                      With the switch up both fan and motor run, switch middle all off, switch down fan only.

Fan.....0----0...Blank
                      120.....0----0...120
                      Fan.....0----0...Motor

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                        This is a 6 terminal switch. Wire 120 to the middle two terminals. Wire the fan to the top left. Wire the fan to the bottom left and the motor to the bottom right.
                        With the switch up both fan and motor run, switch middle all off, switch down fan only.

Fan.....0----0...Blank
                        120.....0----0...120
                        Fan.....0----0...Motor
                        Looks like you said it right but your diagram is wrong.

Comment

Looks right to me, whats wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post

Fan.....0----0...Blank
                            120.....0----0...120
                            Fan.....0----0...Motor
                            WOW! I believe this is what I was looking for!

Comment

Three-way? rotary switch.

(1) Lamp A,
                              (2) Lamps B,C
                              (3) Lamps A,B,C
                              OFF

Same rotary switch I installed in a three-lamp kitchen chandelier.
                              But are contacts B,C heavy enough to control a motor?
                              I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                              It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                              "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Working...
                              X