Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Help solve an "argument" about a DPST thermostat for my ceiling heat? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help solve an "argument" about a DPST thermostat for my ceiling heat?

My electrician buddy was admiring my new Honeywell LineVolt Pro 8000 (TL8230A1003) as we prepared to install it. This is a DPST model (two red/two black). I told him I would like to find similar models for my SPST units (One red & one black wire) for my smaller rooms. He said that since I got the thermostat at a great price, I should just do all the rooms with the same DPST model. He said I should simply pigtail both reds and both blacks (Line & Load) and then tie into the existing wiring. I told him this either could NOT be done or it would shorten the life span of the stat. He says I am an idiot. We have a pitcher & pizza riding on it.

Re: Help solve an "argument" about a DPST thermostat for my ceiling heat?

I would think one could do as he sugested or jsut use one side of the stat wiring if it is only 120 volts, the only problem I could see is if the electonics of it only take 230 to function,

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related...ns%2002.10.pdf

from this it looks like it is a ONLY 230/240 volt unit, as no nuteral is needed, so operating on 120 volts may damage the unit,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

OK...now I am confused. Here are pics:

Attachment

And here is the Honeywell diagram:

Attachment

It turns out I have ONE room that NEEDS the DPST thermostats but the rest have old SPST stats. Is there a way for me to safely (& to code) wire the Honeywell units into the existing boxes?

I appreciate any positive feedback.
      Attached Files

Comment

what voltage are the single pole heaters? I know many of the 240 volt heaters only used simgle pole thermostats,

I really do not know (is there a 800 number you can call Honeywell and see if you can jsut convert the other single pole to double pole swith, (the small drawing in Honeywell paper really (IMO) does not totaly explain what is happening in the switch,
        because the top little drawing gives indicaiton that is the equivlant to a single pole switch,
        If one looks at the little drawing on top, it show the load on one side and the switch on the other side (not two swtichs with the load inbetween them like on a relay type swtich,

with out having the thermostat in hand and trying to figure out what is actuly happing in the switch, I really can not say, as I do not know enough about the unit to answer you,

I am some what guessing that it may jsut be routing the power throught the switch for for keeping the electonics functing,

I do not know enough about the thermostat/swtich to answer your question, but below most likely is what you have if the other base board heaters are 240 volt, and if that is the case, I think one could use the honey well thermostat,

MY guess is the way there currently wired is like the drawing below,
        and there only switching one side of the 240 volts (if it is 240 volts),

but with out being there and figuring out exactly what you have and the voltages and more of how the thermostat works,

I CAN NOT ADVISE YOU ON WHAT WILL WORK OR WILL NOT. or try to get a hold of honeywell tech service, then talk to the electriction and have him make the decision, he is the one doing the work.
        Attached Files
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

This Honeywell T stat is electronic, it is NOT a simple Bimetalic DPDT T stat. The way it works is the (LINE) coming in feeds the electronics of the T stat. You program it for time,temperature,etc. Depending on your programming of the tstat tells the "relay" inside that transfers the (LINE) to the (LOAD). SO there is a seperation between the line and load in that regard which means you can not tie the reds and blacks together on the T stat because it does not operate as a simple switch. I'd say Blind Frog gets the beer and pizza and his buddy go back to electrical school.

Comment

Working...
          X