X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gentlemen your expert advice to a novice

currently i am going to college to earn my diploma in electrical/electronic technology after that i heard because i already went to college some of my time is cut on class room time any way i was planning to apply at a electric company and go for my journeymans license but after reading some threads i am curious and i am will to accept any advice possible it would be appreciated

Re: gentlemen your expert advice to a novice

I think you could begin by learning how to use punctuation. That would clear up some of the ambiguity of your run-on sentence.

Comment

to make a living I would trust a trade over a degree at least in our current economy, Also having some practical experience, will make you a better engineer if that is the goal,
      Another thing you will be paid to learn as an apprentice,(it may not be the best pay) but it is better than having to pay to go to school,
      Last edited by BHD; 08-24-2012, 08:17 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

You will have to be regestered in a state recognized apprentiship program. If I was you, I would contact the IBEW. It takes both schooling and documented time on the job to become a journeyman.

Comment

Dantheman, I assume you are attending a 2 year program. Some of the material you will learn may go toward your journeymans credit, but not much. I'd say you might be able to get credit for one course you must take in the journeymans program. I did the same thing. I got credit for one course in the electricians courses I had to take here in the State of Connecticut. I asume most states have a similar program of courses. Alot of what you learn in a 2 year college course will help you to be a better electrician, especially for low voltage work. However to "pass the test" you must have a firm grip on using the NFPA CODE BOOK. Unfortunately when you take an electricians test the questions are not so much based on your grip on how to "wire up" circuits. Rather, the test is more geared toward wiring methods and codes. At least in the State of Connecticut, the electricians test can be considered a test in your ability to find the answer in the code book, not so much on how well you can wire up a circuit knowing where the wires go,etc. They (the state) assume you learn that stuff during your 4 year apprenticeship. Tell you the truth, a course in "speed reading" will be more valuable than anything else you might learn in preparing to pass the test. The failure rate in the state of Connecticut is very high since the test is "timed" and you have about 3 minutes per question to find the answer in the book if you don't know it. And with the size of the code book that does not give you much time to hunt down the answer unless you are tabbed really well and know your articles really well. I don't know about other states, but here in CT. it is an "open book test". Good Luck

Comment

this so far is the best answer to the question i asked. After quite a bit of education from the college i am going to .In my program which is a year long i have two instructors they are both master electricians.They make you memorize the code and remind you everyday of the way the test works along with the danger of the work . I have found that i will be following the path of one of my instructors who is also a former US MARINE. In his life he became a electrician by working for a company as a apprentice after a year of college . While working for that company he went to night school for plumbing and welding . Now he is a Master Electrician as well as a Master plumber and a certified welder. He owns many properties and because he is bored he decided to teach for something to do . This man has the same dreams that i have and has showed me how to follow them not to forget he has contacts to help get me started. For the gentlemen who corrected me on my spelling thank you i didn't realize that it was so confusing to read my writing and you have a valid point that i need to focus on. for QROKING you are 100 % correct and by far sound like both of my instructors in the amount of experience you hold which is beyond my level by a long shot but very helpful thank you . Now as for JOHNCAMERON you also strike a good point and once i am done i will contact the ibew but for now i already have a guarenteed position at salem electric and will wait till i have my license before i contact them because they have little work where i live

Comment

Working...
            X