Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to run some photo gear off of an inverter and battery without blowing up.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to run some photo gear off of an inverter and battery without blowing up.

First of all, THANK YOU to anyone offering their expertise to me, who is totally ignorant of most things electrical. Seriously, thank you.

I want to run my 2000 watt/sec power source (for photo lights) off of an inverter connected to a battery when I am outdoors away from power outlets. I just want to make sure that the inverter and battery I'm looking at can do the job without catching fire or anything like that.

The light and the power supply are literally made for each other and I am very familiar with using them with indoor power outlets and gas powered inverters. The power supply is basically a big capacitor that takes about a second or two to charge up and can then release all the energy very quickly. The light is made for this. Those two components will work together, guaranteed. I want to try this setup because it will be relatively light weight and compact. It will also be much quitter and less expensive than a gas powered inverter. Someone suggested using a marine battery, but those things are massive. I like that this one is only about albs.

So, will this work? Could I add another one of these batteries for longer use? Am I going to end up on the evening news?

inverter: 4000W Peak/2000W 12V DC to AC SUV Truck Power Inverter | eBay

battery: UT12C YB12A-A Case, J.I. Compact Tractors M-80 Lawn Mower 12V 12Ah Battery | eBay

Thanks again,
    MJA

PS This attachment is just in case the linked image does not show up.
    Attached Files

Re: I want to run some photo gear off of an inverter and battery without blowing up.

now I am not an expert,

but some electronic systems, need a pure sine wave inverter to function correctly and most lower cost inverters are step inverters and some things can work with them and some can not, (for example Dewalt battery chargers for cordless drills will not work and will be damaged by any thing but a pure sine wave inverter),

and I think the battery your showing is way to small for the inverter you have shown, it will work but not for long,

If the inverter was 100% efficient and it is only 90% or so, and if producing the 2000 Watts, 2000 Watts at 120 volts is 16.6 amps, and at 12 volts it would pull from the battery 166 amps, at 100%, and most likely be pulling up to 180 or more amps with the loss of the efficiency, may be my figures are wrong but I am guessing that that battery would power the inverter at that load (2000 watts) for about 5 Min's, most likely less,

but I would question that that strobe power unit needs the 2000 watt inverter, what I would suggest, is to find a clamp on amp meter and see what the unit actually pulls in amps to charge, I would check with the manufacture and see if it can use the modified sine wave, or if it needs the pure sine wave, (there are special inverters for electronics that are nearly pure sine wave) and not stepped like a modified unit,
    they may have an inverter suggested for that kind of use,

then reevaluate the battery that would be needed, I would think for your system you posted, you would need a fishing trolling type battery a deep cycle battery and would be near the full size of a car battery, to make it work with that inverter,

but I would find what the unit actually pulls and see if you need that much inverter,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    added and updated

I did more looking and see some of the power units do pull up to 15 amps to charge up, so you most likely would need that large of an inverter,
    Last edited by BHD; 09-19-2012, 11:19 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Re: I want to run some photo gear off of an inverter and battery without blowing up.

like always bhd is spot on.

the battery is way too small of a reserve to supply power for any length of time. plus you will kill it if it's not a deep cycle battery.

according to your cut sheet, the storage capacitor is rated for pure sine wave. this inverter is a modified sine wave.

honestly honda makes a small and lite and quiet generator for about $1000. and it will do what you need.

i use a modified sine wave inverter, but i have it wired into my van with 2 batteries and it self charges when i start the diesel engine. there is also a 220 amp alternator with built in battery isolators from the factory.

i would also ask or contact the photo equipment supplier for suggestions. i'm sure this comes up all the time.

one of my customer is a pro photographer and he uses a generator for remote photo shoots.

welcome to the forum. and thanks for the real clear attachments you posted

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoByMJA.com View Post

First of all, THANK YOU to anyone offering their expertise to me, who is totally ignorant of most things electrical. Seriously, thank you.

I want to run my 2000 watt/sec power source (for photo lights) off of an inverter connected to a battery when I am outdoors away from power outlets. I just want to make sure that the inverter and battery I'm looking at can do the job without catching fire or anything like that.

The light and the power supply are literally made for each other and I am very familiar with using them with indoor power outlets and gas powered inverters. The power supply is basically a big capacitor that takes about a second or two to charge up and can then release all the energy very quickly. The light is made for this. Those two components will work together, guaranteed. I want to try this setup because it will be relatively light weight and compact. It will also be much quitter and less expensive than a gas powered inverter. Someone suggested using a marine battery, but those things are massive. I like that this one is only about albs.

So, will this work? Could I add another one of these batteries for longer use? Am I going to end up on the evening news?

inverter: 4000W Peak/2000W 12V DC to AC SUV Truck Power Inverter | eBay

battery: UT12C YB12A-A Case, J.I. Compact Tractors M-80 Lawn Mower 12V 12Ah Battery | eBay

Thanks again,
        MJA

PS This attachment is just in case the linked image does not show up.
        I suspect you have a 2000 Watt-sec (not Watt/sec) flash. Watt-sec is a unit of energy, not a unit of power. If it takes 2 seconds to charge a 2000 Watt-sec energy source, then you are using 1000 Watts during this charging period. You may want to reevaluate your requirements, check how much power the charger really requires, could be 1000 Watts or less.

Comment

Thanks for the help so far! I am still waiting on a reply from the manufacturer RE amp needs and modified vs. pure sine wave. An important point about this 2000w/s power supply is that it is not pulling power constantly. I take a picture, the flash fires, then the power supply charges up for a second or two. It needs a lot of bursts of energy, not a constant, even flow.

Thanks again,
          MJA

Comment

Working...
          X