Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qo 200 60 a 240 vac "provides no overcurrent protection" ?!!

This [D] "circuit-breaker" connected the electric stove cable to the power.

This is a SWITCH, ONLY?
    Is there no overcurrent protection for a thick copper stove cable?

Thank you.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Qo 200 60 a 240 vac "provides no overcurrent protection" ?!!

Short circuit current rating: 10 kA. Surely you know how to do a Google search... QO200 Product Detail - Schneider Electric

Comment

Thank you.
      Had already read the specs.

This SWITCH provides NO OVERCURRENT PROTECTION!
      So where is any protection if a short occurs? The 200-amp MAIN circuit breaker?

For a residential application, I see no need for a high amperage switch. It will not be frequently turned off and on. Likely never turned off under load.

Comment

If it has a 60 on the handle then then it most likely a overload device as well, the number is the rating of the over load amps to which it is designed to trip,

I do not think I have ever seen JUST a Switch that will fit into a breaker box that is not a over load device as well.

yes there has been some sub par breakers made that really were no more than a swtich, by some companys, but they in theory were to trip when over loaded,

If your pulling it out to down size it for the refrigerator when what diffrence does it make any way?

post a picture of the "switch".
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thank you.

Unlike all the circuit breakers, I noticed that this had no current number: 15, 20, 50, etc.
          Then I read the little sticker.
          Maybe an electrician installed this thinking it a circuit breaker - it looks just like one.
          On the side a sticker reads: Molded Case Switch 60 A 240 V~.
          "Requires overcurrent protection of equivalent rating."

Just wondering what's going on here. This house had to pass building electrical inspection for a CO.

No ability to post photos.
          Picture a 2-pole circuit breaker with single handle on the right:
          |/ON
          o/OFF
          Last edited by Robert Gift; 10-02-2012, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I guess they do exist, I have never seen one, besides the links below, (I am suprized that there legal via NEC)

SQUARE D QO Molded Case Switch 2 Pole 60 amp max 240 volt max | eBay

Square D Molded Case Switch QO200 Set of Three | eBay

either it was put in by mistake, ot maybe some home owner put it in or the contractor after inspection, or the electricl was never inspected, if power was in the house and it was rewired, it may never have been inspected,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

YES, they DO exist, but only in a QO 60A disconnect. I bet someone took the switch out of the disconnect and used it in a panel. That was a DUMB thing to do!.

Comment

There is a such thing as a disconnect switch box used for AC units. Square D makes it and it looks just like a circuit breaker and fits in just like a circuit breaker but it is not a circuit breaker. It is an on/off switch rated 240v 60a but it is not overload protection. You still need a breaker in the panel rated for the wire used to the device (up to 60a).

Comment

Originally posted by QROKING View Post
                  ... You still need a breaker in the panel rated for the wire used to the device (up to 60a).
                  Then why not make it a circuit breaker?
                  Are circuit breakers not to be turned on and off much, or not to be turned off under load?

Wonder if the electrician mistook it for a circuit breaker. I did until I read the sticker and removed the switch.

Thank you.

Comment

Breakers will have a clear Trip indicator window as opposed to the switch just having a black spot. I have seen them used on generators and such as a factory disconnect.

I agree they should not make them that fit into a panel spot. This is Not a NEC issue but rather one for NEMA.

Breakers are designed to be turned off under full load, but it is recommended to turn off heavier loads downstream. It does not hurt to occasionally turn on/off breakers, in fact they should be exersized at least once a year per manufacture instructions (though most people don't bother)
                    Other breakers that are required to be switched a lot (like lighting) need to have a SWD rating.

Comment

Will "exercise" circuit breakers when Standard Time - must reset clocks, anyway.

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
                      [Circuit breakers] should be exersized at least once a year per manufacture instructions (though most people don't bother) ...
                      Thank you
                      I have done this every few years. Not aware it was a recommendation.
                      I'll do when the time changes.

Comment

Working...
                      X