Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a digital timer operate mother's gas fireplace?

Mother's gas fireplace is operated from a wall light switch.
    She may forget to turn the fireplace off.

Is there a non-ticking timer which can automatically turn the fireplace off?
    Update: PlumbeRick is correct. The fireplace ON/OFF valve is operated from the milli-volt electricity created by the.rmopile.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 10-18-2012, 12:41 PM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Can a digital timer operate mother's gas fireplace?

i doubt a digital electronic timer can work as these use line voltage.

but an ordinary intermatic spring wound timer will work just fine. they come in different time parameters and some even have a lock/ hold position. probably under $20. and you're good to go.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Yes, but I do not think a fire starting automatically is such a good idea.
      With that said,... Some intermatic digital wall switch timers have separate leads (relay contacts) that can be used for whatever you want to switch.

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
        Yes, but I do not think a fire starting automatically is such a good idea.
        With that said,... Some intermatic digital wall switch timers have separate leads (relay contacts) that can be used for whatever you want to switch.
        Thank you.
        I mean a digital count-down timer like a bathroom fan timer.
        You press a button for the time desired.
        Then, if forgotten, the fire goes out.

I can run 120 VAC up to the timer to operate the device. But it must have isolated contacts for the millivolt gas valve operation.
        Do the spring-wound timers emit a ticking sound?

Comment

A light switch operates off of 120V. Any device that controls the fire place now that runs off of 120V can control it.

Comment

You can get quiet crank timers and it will work for all systems, same as a wall toggle switch.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
              A light switch operates off of 120V. Any device that controls the fire place now that runs off of 120V can control it.
              Her fireplace operates without outside power.
              The low voltage produced by a thermopile heated by the pilot light flame operates the on-off valve.
              The wall switch closes the.rmopile circuit.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I have a solution. There are remote controls available that have timers built in to shut off the fireplace after a set time.

Comment

Legrand makes a digital timer meant for use on bathroon vent fans. It has 5 preset times, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 minutes. It must be manually started then counts down to off at one of the 5 times above. I don't think they have one with longer times, but it might be worth a look. You can find them at Lowes and elsewhere.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    Legrand makes a digital timer meant for use on bathroon vent fans. It has 5 preset times, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 minutes. It must be manually started then counts down to off at one of the 5 times above. I don't think they have one with longer times, but it might be worth a look. You can find them at Lowes and elsewhere.
                    I am not familiar with that timer, but it sounds like it is designed to operate on 120v AC, most gas fireplaces need switches/timers designed to operate on 500mv. I have seen normal wall switches build enough internal resistance over the years where they would not function properly with gas fireplaces.

Comment

Originally posted by logdoc_rob View Post
                      I am not familiar with that timer, but it sounds like it is designed to operate on 120v AC, most gas fireplaces need switches/timers designed to operate on 500mv. I have seen normal wall switches build enough internal resistance over the years where they would not function properly with gas fireplaces.
                      You are correct, it is a line voltage timed switch, and not a set of dry contacts that could be used to switch a control voltage.

I came back to this thread this morning to add just such a comment to my post about the switch, and see that you have pointed this out. Thanks for catching that.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

you could try a micro-plc or if you are feeling adventurous you could try an arduino uno
                        these computers are the size of a pack of smokes and you program them in java code
                        you can program them using a pc or you can program it via bluetooth from a smart phone
                        shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X