Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
about to purchase a 20kw generator, it has 2 100amp transfer switches?? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: about to purchase a 20kw generator, it has 2 100amp transfer switches??

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    That's kind of my point. You cannot compare NJ to the location written in your profile.
    It may not be 30 days, but jsut heard on the news many still are with out power, it's been nearly two weeks, and may be many more days before all is restored,

and the truth is the first week is probly the hardest, as by the time a week or so goes on, one figures out some way of getting by,
    camping stove, LP grill, ect, and usaly travel has normaly resumed in a week or two,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for all of the great input/advice from all of you.
      I've decided to use a manual transfer switch as suggested here. I really see no need to have automatic switching. Especially in light of the NEC requirement to either size the genset to handle all possible loads or load shed.
      If I'm ever traveling and an extended power outage occurs, I'll have a neighbor throw the switch and start the generator.

Now, is 2 AWG copper overkill for the supply conductors from the genset to the manual TF switch? I have wet location #2 in black, red, and white and #4 green. I'm planning to run it in 2" pvc conduit. I have enough to run both of the hots in black if red is not acceptable. The only problem I see is with the puny little 100 amp breaker on the generator. I'm thinking the lugs on it won't take the #2.
      Last edited by XMM; 11-15-2012, 09:54 AM.

Comment

your wire must be able to carry the amperage of the breakers rating, (not sure the generator can produce 100 amps, (may be on a surge) but I was thinking 20 kw as about 80 amps,
        the #2 copper should be adequate if the insulation rating is OK for location, and if the distance is not that great, (voltage drop),
        I would double check the instillation you plan with a licensed electrician and you most probably will or should pull a permit/inspection for the installation of the transfer switch and generator wiring,

I would think the breaker being 100 amp it would accept the #2 wire, it should say on it some where, you may have to remove the breaker from the panel to see it tho,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Doing the rough math it comes out to 83 +/- amps. But as you say, the cables need to match the breaker.
          Distance is less than 80 feet, taking bends into consideration. insulation rating is THWN

Comment

Must be sized 125% of the 83a which puts you at #2 wire at minimum. Make sure you know and understand if the neutral is switched (separately derived) You might need to drive a ground rod. An accessible disconnect is required and you might need a bigger gas meter to supply the gen-set. Talk to your city AHJ so you know you are in compliance.

Red wire is ok for phase wires, the breaker will accept the #2 wire. You might need to hire a licensed fitter to do the gas hook up.

Comment

Working...
            X