Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help installing a sub panel for multiple A/C units

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
    Do you really want the wiring in your house to be based off of some random persons advise you got off the internet? I don't think,insurance covers that, I'd recommend you hire a electrition and do as much of the work yourself as he permits.
    I had a customer who's insurance company denied a claim to pay for the bedroom that burned down because he didn't hire a lic electrician.
    And that ticked me off, he couldn't afford a clean out he desperately needed.

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
      I had a customer who's insurance company denied a claim to pay for the bedroom that burned down because he didn't hire a lic electrician.
      I call BS on this one.
      It is a known fact that insurance companies DO pay in situations like this, but it is likely you will be dropped immediately after.
      It is an old wives tale that insurance companies will not pay if something wasn't done to code or wasn't done by a licensed professional.
      I was told this is true by my own agent who is a smart cookie. He did say the only way they are likely not to pay is if it was done intentionally (fraud), and in this case your insurance company is the last of your worries.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
        I call BS on this one.
        It is a known fact that insurance companies DO pay in situations like this, but it is likely you will be dropped immediately after.
        It is an old wives tale that insurance companies will not pay if something wasn't done to code or wasn't done by a licensed professional.
        I was told this is true by my own agent who is a smart cookie. He did say the only way they are likely not to pay is if it was done intentionally (fraud), and in this case your insurance company is the last of your worries.
        Well thats what he told me as he showed me the the charred remains. So maybe he lied but I'm not lying. Smile

Comment

Whoops,, smile
          Last edited by theplungerman; 01-05-2013, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Put in a 60A or 100A sub-panel on the roof. You'll need a weather rated panel if it's going to be outside. You should be able to look up the required wire size for an 85' run for 60A or 100A pretty easy on the internet. Probably easiest to just use 100A aluminum feeder- but make sure to use the proper grease, connectors and torque for aluminum wire bounding. The main breaker at the sub (and back in the main panel) will be either 60A or 100A depending on what you do- then small 10 or 15A breakers for the connection to the AC units. You didn't say if it's 120V or 240V, but I'm assuming it's 220/240V. Code probably requires that you put a separate disconnect right at each AC unit- but check with your local inspector since the pannel sounds like it will be right there.

FYI- I'm not an electrician, I'm a DIYer and this doesn't sound like a big deal to me, as long as you actually know what your doing and know your limitations (and it's permitted in your jurisdiction). But if you have questions, get someone who knows what they are doing- this will kill you. Unlike some of the other posters on this thread, I actually understand what a split unit AC is and why you'd have 3 of them and eventually 5. Best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by lightguy View Post
              Unlike some of the other posters on this thread, I actually understand what a split unit AC is and why you'd have 3 of them and eventually 5. Best of luck
              I guarantee you everyone who has replied in this thread knows what a split systems is.

Comment

Originally posted by cargarci View Post
                Guys , I am in Puerto Rico and construction here is a little different than the states. The roof is also made out of concrete.

I am a Veteran and yes I been called Magiver!

I can do many things!

Can someone help me with the wire gauge and breakers?

The existing conduit is 1in so I was thinking 3 #6, ground #8 with a 60amps breaker???

Well apparently it's not different from the States. You need licensed, qualified contractors, with permits and inspections. Quotes from the Puerto Rico Building Code:

Intro/Brief:
                In February 2011, the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico adopted the 2011 Puerto Rico Building Code (PRBC), which references nine 2009 International Code Council model codes, including the 2009 IECC. The 2011 PRBC also includes the 2009 International Building, Residential, Fire, Energy Conservation, Plumbing, Private Sewage Disposal, Mechanical, Fuel Gas and Existing Building Codes with local amendments.
                As an ICC code user, Puerto Rico will benefit from the ICC code development process, which offers a forum for building professionals to discuss performance and prescriptive code requirements. The Code Council will work with Puerto Rico’s recently created Office of Permit Management (OGPE) and its partners to provide building code programs for design and construction professionals. ICC also will assist the PRBC.
                The previous Puerto Rico Building Code was a state-specific code, and was mandatory for all new residential and commercial construction in the commonwealth. It was based on ASHRAE/IESNA 90.1-1989 and became effective December 8, 1999.
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Unlike some of the other posters on this thread, I actually understand what a split unit AC is and why you'd have 3 of them and eventually 5. Best of luck
                  Yes, a split AC unit is ANY unit in which the condenser is separate from the evaporator. This includes the more common residential furnace/air handler driven coils and the ever faster emerging mini-split self driven evaporators. All these are opposite of the packaged AC units, such as in rooftop units and window shakers, where all coils are located in one combined machine.

I think the OP means mini-split as there would unlikely be any need for 5 more commonly used units, unless he lives in a Taj Mahal. And I'm *pretty sure* that the rest of us know what these are and are capable of supplying correct information. Please do your research before you provide information that can well possibly hurt or kill himself or others.
                  ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

FYI- I'm not an electrician, I'm a DIYer and this doesn't sound like a big deal to me, as long as you actually know what your doing and know your limitations (and it's permitted in your jurisdiction). But if you have questions, get someone who knows what they are doing- this will kill you. Unlike some of the other posters on this thread, I actually understand what a split unit AC is and why you'd have 3 of them and eventually 5. Best of luck
                    Why would you give advice about something you are not qualified for?
                    Just because someone feels like they "know what they are doing" does not necessarily make it safe, let alone up to code. Please, Do not encourage someone who thinks they "know what their doing" to wire up a death trap that puts other Innocent lives at stake.

Comment

Working...
                    X