X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help installing a sub panel for multiple A/C units

My project consist of adding a sub-pannel to feed 3 A/C units that are located on my roof. I would also like to connect a security flood lamp to it and future expansion for another 2 A/C.

I have space in the breaker box to add a few more breakers. The main outside is a 200a. The run is about 85ft long. The existing conduit is of 1in.

What size (amp breakers), wiring gauge should I use?

The loads will be 5 A/Cs (split units) The A/C's are 8amps, 11amps and 14amps. Future A/C's would be of 11amps each.

So;
    8, 11, 14, 11, 11 for all five A/Cs

I am a handyman and are confortable with doing this job.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Need help installing a sub panel for multiple A/C units

Too many variables to give a simple answer. This is not a handyman job. I strongly recommend getting a licensed electrician to do the work. Especially if you are not the owner.

If you are insistent on doing the work, Start by reading NEC art 230 and 440

Comment

This is for my house!

Comment

Your project will require a building permit.
        The building inspector requires a licensed electrician to do the work.

With that said you may be able to negotiate the grunt work required and thus
        keep the coast of the licensed electrician low.

For example I had an electrical project.
        I dug the ditch, I installed the conduit, I pulled the wire. The electrician inspected my work and said it's fine.
        He did the actual wire connections in the panel [Which obviously I could have done] and then put his seal on the work.
        The inspector passed everything as well as my home owner's insurance!

If you do this yourself without the proper permits and inspections....you will introduce
        some serious potential problems....

your home owner's insurance will not address any electrical claims you make or any claims
        they find related to the illegal electrical work! In fact they may just outright cancel your policy!

Can you afford that in lieu of saving a few bucks doing this project yourself?

I am also a homeowner and quite skilled, however there are projects that you must recognize the bigger picture
        and call in licensed professionals...There is a reason they have licenses! There is a reason for building permits!

Cactus Man

Comment

In most locations you as a home owner can do the wiring but it is to be inspected some times two inspections, a rough in and a final, and permitted before the start of the project, you will just have to check with your local building department, if you can do the work your self or not, regarless you should or need to wire to the NEC.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by cargarci View Post
            This is for my house!
            Your house has a flat roof and needs five separate AC units?

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
              Your house has a flat roof and needs five separate AC units?
              He must be one hell of a handyman.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
                He must be one hell of a handyman.
                Bob Vila?

Comment

Guys , I am in Puerto Rico and construction here is a little different than the states. The roof is also made out of concrete.

I am a Veteran and yes I been called Magiver!

I can do many things!

Can someone help me with the wire gauge and breakers?

The existing conduit is 1in so I was thinking 3 #6, ground #8 with a 60amps breaker???

Comment

"Mans got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood

Comment

Do you really want the wiring in your house to be based off of some random persons advise you got off the internet? I don't think,insurance covers that, I'd recommend you hire a electrition and do as much of the work yourself as he permits.

Comment

I agree. Hire a pro. Its a shame when innocent people have their houses burn down because some hack thinks he knows what he is doing

Comment

Being a veteran doesn't give you any special privileges.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            Being a veteran doesn't give you any special privileges.
                            Thanks for Your service ! Now go hire an electrician, Vet.
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Contact an electrician.

Comment

Working...
                              X