Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Refirigerators cost to run

Can some one tell me how much electric the use in a year
    What would you compare it to

I'm a facility manager and i just started this job . They let a lot of people have the small units in there offices but there is a lunch room with three refrigerators in it that are not full at all .
    Im trying to cut our bills and i know if we dont need theses it would help a lot .

I just need to know what it costs us to run one for a year ,then i can tell my boss how much we can save if we stop using them .

Thanks
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Re: Small Refirigerators cost to run

Pretty sure small would use less energy provided they are kept reasonably filled with items. Problem with your question is that you probably have different kinds all over the place. And we don't know how many there are or can be eliminated vs. the larger ones. So their it's kind of hard to nail down. Anyway, here is a list I found of Energy Star approved refrigerators/freezers. You might be able to get data on kWh/Yr and get some idea of whether it is worth it to have all the desk people hate you.

ENERGY STAR

Comment

You can calculate it from the information on the fridge. It should give you the watts the unit draws running. Starting wattage will be higher yes but its short term. Then what you need is what fraction of an hour does the unit run on average. Duringnthe course of a day it will vary depending on how often the door is opened. You might want to invest in one of those kill-a-volt meters. You plug it in the wall oulet, then plug your appliance into it, and it will record howmmany watts are used. I think they run from 20 to 30 dollars. Radio shack used to sell one and i think hd and lowes have them too, as well as on line at amazon for sure.

The infonthat came with the wine cooler I just put in was it uses about 970 watts/day, so that woule be about 13 cents/day to me.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks Bob now i want one
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          You can calculate it from the information on the fridge. It should give you the watts the unit draws running. Starting wattage will be higher yes but its short term. Then what you need is what fraction of an hour does the unit run on average. Duringnthe course of a day it will vary depending on how often the door is opened. You might want to invest in one of those kill-a-volt meters. You plug it in the wall oulet, then plug your appliance into it, and it will record howmmany watts are used. I think they run from 20 to 30 dollars. Radio shack used to sell one and i think hd and lowes have them too, as well as on line at amazon for sure.

The infonthat came with the wine cooler I just put in was it uses about 970 watts/day, so that woule be about 13 cents/day to me.
          it's actually a great little tool/ device. not only can you program the cost per kwh into it. but it reads watts, amps, cycles and voltage too. a great little device for getting a sense of what's going on with your appliance or other devices that you plug into it.

i have one on our big screen and use to check it as i was amazed to see the number change with lighter brighter colors on the screen.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Hi rick, I assume your TV is a flatscreen so does the change in consumption when there are lighter brighter colours on the screen apply to CRT TVs too? Thanks!

Comment

It depend on the fridge watts and also check the model make of that particular fridge and search the product catalog. You will find all the information , if you don't want tio buy a separate device for that . Otherwise BOB D has mentioned good device which is quite accurate and give you all the information about electric usage of any device.
              PPE Protective Clothing

Comment

Add my "plus" to getting a Kill-A-Watt meter as they are great for giving a pretty precise estimate of the cost. I bought one of these a couple of years ago (P4400) and have used it to check out all kinds of devices, including the new refrigerator and just a few weeks ago, an electric heater. Simply make note of the time you plug it in between the outlet and the appliance. Set the measurement you want to take and go from there, with some simple math.

My wife was concerned that with these extremely cold days and my using an electric heater in the den (used to be an attached garage), it was going to drive the bill up a hundred dollars or more.

With regards to the refrigerator question for company usage, that can really get to be a problem. Before I retired, my employer went through such an evaluation, but never reached much in the way of results.... just to many protests from employees. Ridiculous, because so many people had personal heaters, refrigerators, coffee pots, etc., it had to be costing the company a small fortune; but I'm only guessing. They did finally came down with a rule that eliminated all the "personal" devices, except for a few heaters which had to go through some kind of "medical" permission (otherwise wear socks!). Each department was allowed one small refrigerator. The coffee pots were eliminated entirely, and in thier place, coffee vending machines were set up in "nearby" areas, with the profits going to the official employee association. The idea there being that if you snuck in your own coffee maker, you were essentially robbing your fellow employees.

CWS
                Last edited by CWSmith; 02-23-2013, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  Add my "plus" to getting a Kill-A-Watt meter as they are great for giving a pretty precise estimate of the cost. I bought one of these a couple of years ago (P4400) and have used it to check out all kinds of devices, including the new refrigerator and just a few weeks ago, an electric heater. Simply make note of the time you plug it in between the outlet and the appliance. Set the measurement you want to take and go from there, with some simple math.

My wife was concerned that with these extremely cold days and my using an electric heater in the den (used to be an attached garage), it was going to drive the bill up a hundred dollars or more.

With regards to the refrigerator question for company usage, that can really get to be a problem. Before I retired, my employer went through such an evaluation, but never reached much in the way of results.... just to many protests from employees. Ridiculous, because so many people had personal heaters, refrigerators, coffee pots, etc., it had to be costing the company a small fortune; but I'm only guessing. They did finally came down with a rule that eliminated all the "personal" devices, except for a few heaters which had to go through some kind of "medical" permission (otherwise wear socks!). Each department was allowed one small refrigerator. The coffee pots were eliminated entirely, and in thier place, coffee vending machines were set up in "nearby" areas, with the profits going to the official employee association. The idea there being that if you snuck in your own coffee maker, you were essentially robbing your fellow employees.

CWS
                  A company I worked for in the past did something similar, but played the fire insurance card to eliminate all personal electrical equipment such as coffee pots, heaters, toaster ovens, etc. In exchange they provided WaWa coffee for free to everyone. Years later when belt tightening started they took the free coffee away but continued to provide the coffee mess area that employees could use with their own fixings.

The insurance argument makes sense, those cube farms are not designed to support an additional 7 or 8 amps per cube for coffee pots or foot warmers. And you have the possibility of someone leaving the coffee pot on. We all know coffee pots never start fires right? With the coffee mess (usually in the same room as the copier and printers) located in one area its easier to monitor and ensure the pot is off at the end of the day...only one place to check.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Back in the early 80's, I saw a 2-1/2 year furlough from I-R, when my Division moved south. I started my own freelance business during that time and I landed a nice contract with Corning, Inc., which required me to be on premises. While they had some strange rules, they were really one of the most "employee-oriented" companies that I ever had the honor to work for. They gave me a nice office in one of their Engineering areas and I basically had most of the priviledges of being a employee.

What they had was a small kitchen setup for each major area, plus a very large vendataria with a spectacular dining room. The little kitchen areas had a refrigerator, microwave, sink, and a "hot-water" tap for anyone who brought their own coffee, tea, instant soup, etc. While that was quite nice, the real eye catcher for me was that these were located right at the outside hall area which was all glass. The specific areas were referred to as "bubbles", because they were like "baywindow" areas which had a couple of bar-height tables and stools. The inner walls were all marker-like panels, and all of many of us "engineering" employees would take our breaks there and literally "mark-up" the walls with our conversational illustrations.

Most companies that I've dealt with sort of kept their "problems" within the specific office or at best a conference room where people are temporarily gathered to deal with it, but not so with Corning. The Engineers would openly discuss their challenges during coffee breaks, make diagrams on the walls, etc. I used to get a great deal pleasure from participating in those, and I proudly admit that I was able to offer some solution on a couple of occasions. The open communications was such that I noticed on a few occasions that they'd even be posted as questions "bulletin-board fashion in those areas. And twice when I was there, they'd shut down on a Friday afternoon, bring in a refreshments and have sort of a "party" in which they'd hand out small gifts and awards for empmloyees who contributed noteworthy "advances" to the company.

On the other hand, I never appreciated the reference to contract people like me, being officially referred to and referenced by others as "Outsiders"... and a really dumb sounding rule that stated "Outsiders are not allowed on the dark green carpet!"

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

Thanks Bob for $17 bucks at radio shack I just picked up a KILL A WATT P3 . Now I,m really dangerous !
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                      X