X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring for Cooktop in basement apartment

Any advice on how to determine if I already have what I need to get the proper power to a cooktop I am adding to a basement apartment. My basement was finished about 10 years ago and I now need to rent it. A separate breaker box was installed in the basement when everything was finished and the contractor finishing it was trying to make everything fairly apartment ready when I needed it so I'm hoping there is enough to work with.
    I presently have wiring for 4 baseboard heaters (one of which I am removing to put cabinet for sink and stove. Is there enough available power to hook up a cooktop (possibly 2 burner) with what I have? I really need to finish this on a budget, but want to do it so I don't have any problems down the road or any hazards. I'm pretty handy at getting all the other stuff installed, but don't really know too much about electricity and don't want to take any chances. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Wiring for Cooktop in basement apartment

it depends on the amperage and voltage of the cook top, and then what was (guessing) what was being fed to the heater, and since no amps or voltage numbers were given on either, how can we guess what you have.

if you do not know how to tell if the circuit was 120 or 240 and or the amperage, you just need to get some one that is qualified to help you out,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Well said BHD. A little more information would be helpful.

Comment

If you truly don't want to take chances then let a licensed electrician do this portion of the work for you.
        Do what you can safely do yourself, and sub out the work the requires special knowledge to those who
        are knowledgeable and licensed to do the work. You'll sleep better and be safer, and so will your tenants.
        Here by code you can not do work on your own property (that you don't live in) if it is being rented out.
        so the rental portion of your property, even though its in the same building/structure, would require a
        contractor to do the work. But that's here in NJ, MD may be different. And it may never be a problem
        until there is a fire or other issue and they ask who did the electrical work. And trying to lay it on the guy who
        tried to get the space 'apartment ready' years ago will get you in even hotter water, because they won't hesitate
        to look him up and ask just what work he did do. Again, that's what I know to have happened here, and MD may be
        different. It's your call.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

A load calculation needs to be done by an electrician to figure this out.... and bring everything up to code.... Arc fault breakers, smoke detectors, proper egress... etc.

Besides the peace of mind, you will get more rent money if you can prove its up to code.

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
            A load calculation needs to be done by an electrician to figure this out.... and bring everything up to code.... Arc fault breakers, smoke detectors, proper egress... etc.

Besides the peace of mind, you will get more rent money if you can prove its up to code.
            plus, most places you will never get a CO without an inspection, unless you are renting it out on the side under the radar.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

For wiring you need to have an idea of voltage and amperage. And it seems that you don't have any idea regarding that.So contact a Journeyman electrician for wiring for cook-top. It will be safer for you.
              PPE Protective Clothing

Comment

Working...
              X